Chapter 146

12. Flashback (5)

'Killian is getting too different...... from the original.'

Lizé swallowed dry saliva.

She'd never been in a situation like this before and didn't know what to do, but she had to do something.

'I need to save the author's power, so I have to involve the extras.'

Lizé decided to use Princess Catherine to get Edith into trouble during the National Day ball.

The preparations for the ball went much like the original story, and Lizé found a sense of stability.

Cliff ordered a beautiful dress from the most expensive boutique in the capital, and the Duke and Duchess of Ludwig made her wear the "Light of Lorraine" necklace.

'Yes, I'm the female lead!'

But before she could think that, the door to the Duchess' office opened and Killian and Edith walked in.

"You're all here. We've just returned."

Killian was smiling, but Lizé noticed that he was firmly angry, his gaze fixed on the Light of Lorraine.

"What are you going to give to Edith, your daughter-in-law?"

The Duchess replied, perplexed by his stern glare, "How about Edith takes the pick? Anything will do."

"Oh, yes, that would be great. How about that necklace, Edith?"

"Yes? That one?"

"It's the Ludwig family's treasure, so you probably have first dibs on it. Why don't you wear that necklace to the National Day ball?"

This was ridiculous.

She'd lived in the world of "I Refuse Your Obsession" many times over, but she'd never been in danger of having the Light of Lorraine stolen from her.

But Edith calmed Killian down.

"It's a beautiful and precious piece of jewelry, but I'm going to have to politely decline this time. I think it would look better on Lizé with her blue eyes than on me."

"But......"

"And with your good eye, I'm sure you realize that that necklace doesn't go with the dress I've ordered today."

Edith's calm demeanor finally made Killian take a step back.

But Lizé felt defeated.

'I can't believe I saved the Light of Lorraine because of Edith's sympathy......!'

Looking down from above should always be me. I, the author and female lead of this story, shouldn't be pushed aside by a mere foreign soul.

With her pride firmly bruised, Lizé brought up the poisoned embroidery thread incident when she met with Princess Catherine, saying that she suspected Count Sinclair of being behind it, but cunningly phrased it in such a way as to put the blame on Edith.

As Lizé had hoped, Catherine suspected Edith.

'This will at least humiliate her at the ball.'

Lizé waited for the National Day ball, hoping to see Edith embarrassed in front of everyone.

***

-tap.

-tap, tap.

On the carriage ride to the Imperial Palace to attend the National Day ball, Lizé's attention was drawn to the strange sounds she'd been hearing.