Chapter 139

5. Renon Filch's Diary

The news that Renon wanted to leave his job at the Duchy of Ludwig came as great news to us, as we were in need of competent people.

Killian and I succeeded in recruiting him by promising him the best treatment we could give and emphasizing the potential of Ryzen.

After wrapping up the work at the Ludwig mansion and finally arriving at the castle, we greeted Renon, happy to see him after so long.

"Good for us, Renon, but wasn't it a shame you had to quit the Duchy? I mean, other than the Imperial Palace, there's no other place that pays that much."

"Well, maybe it's because I'd already saved up quite a bit, but money wasn't the main issue."

Renon was still stingy about showing his emotions, but he looked somewhat drained as he said it.

"Why? Is there something going on at the Ludwig mansion?" Killian asked worriedly.

After some thought, Renon pulled his diary out of his bag and handed it to Killian.

"It would be a long story for me to tell you, so you might as well read my diary and see for yourself."

Killian and I were puzzled by his behavior, pulling out his diary as if it were a report, but he didn't seem to mind.

We began to look through the diary from the day we left the Ludwig mansion.

***

「– September 15, 1825

As soon as Mater Cliff's wedding was over, Master Killian and Lady Edith left for Ryzen. They took Anna with them, and it seems as if every trace of them is gone from the mansion.

I didn't think much of it at first, but the atmosphere in the mansion has changed a lot since they left.

The Duke and Duchess's relationship with Lady Lizé, which was always harmonious before, seems to have grown cold.

The Duchess rarely meets Lady Lizé, and His Excellency the Duke has been drinking increasingly and sighing often.

At the wedding not long ago, Master Killian and Lady Edith were present, and the atmosphere was outwardly good, but now it can hardly be said to be good.

Master Cliff has begun to make arrangements for his succession in earnest.

– November 10, 1825

Lady Lizé, who has been keeping to herself in her room, has been making more of a presence lately.

She started attending parties and her clothes became more luxurious as time went on. This time, she announced that she would organize the year-end party in December herself.

It seems that she and Master Cliff have had a bit of a falling out over the matter, but it seems that Lady Lizé has decided to organize the December party.

The Duchess has yet to confirm, but there are many gossipy rumors that her daughter-in-law is already trying to take over as the family's hostess.

The Duchess seems to be in a bad mood and doesn't say much.

I don't feel the same as before either. Perhaps it is time to prepare to leave this place.

– December 31, 1825

The year-end parties held at the Ludwig mansion yesterday and today were the most lavish and extravagant I've seen since I've been here.

Lady Lizé said that the Duke of Ludwig's status as one of the Emperor's closest confidants should be known by everyone, and well...... even without all the fanfare, there's no denying that House Ludwig is the most powerful family in the Empire.