09

Jennie's sat at the dining table with her parents at front of her and her elder sister sitting beside her

Jennie's sat at the dining table with her parents at front of her and her elder sister sitting beside her. The atmosphere was silent except the eventual noise of the spoon coming in contact with the plate.

Jennie's father, Mr Kim works as a manager in a big firm and her mother is a house wife. Her family has always been the one with the stereotypical thinking due to which the thought of Jennie studying fashion was always opposed, the only reason she was able to join SNU was her grandmother who somehow was able to convince Jennie's father.

"How's your university going on ?" Mr Kim said looking at Jennie.
"It's going good, I-" Jennie was going to tell her father more about her university but her cut her off with an other question.
"How long is your study going to last ?"
"I still have around two and a half years left."

"I don't think it is necessary for you to continue your studies anymore." Mrs Kim said, Jennie quickly looked up at her with disbelief.
"Huh ?"
"I mean what are you even going to do with this fashion degree of your's ?, it's just a waiste of our money at this point," Jennie's fists curl from under the table hearing the harsh words of her mother, but she reminds quite.

Mr Kim extended his arm to grab the bowl of rice but Eunji quickly got up and picked the bowl up, "Let me help you dad." She said as Jennie resisted the urge to roll her eyes.
"Thanks sweetheart, I know that I can always rely on you to take care of me and your mother in our old age." Mr Kim said, Jennie knew that such sweet words would never be said to her.

"Jennie don't you think it is the time for you that you also begin to think about your parents happiness, specially after all that we have done for you." Mrs Kim said.
"What do you mean ?" Jennie raised her brow trying to guess where this conversation is about to go.

"Remember your dad's friend, Mr Jung." Mrs Kim said as Jennie nods her head.
"His son is studying abroad to be a doctor and he is just a few years older than you.
Last week Mr Jung and his wife were over for dinner and he said that they were thinking that, won't you just be the perfect match for their son." Jennie quickly dropped her spoon in her soup bowl after hearing these words coming out of her mother's mouth.

"Mom what do you mean ?" Jennie said, wide eyed.
"Jennie what mom means go say is that, it is finally time for you to stop with your wanting to be independent drama and think about settling down." Eunji said with a smirk.

"No but I- mom I can't.
I have a dream, I want to continue my studies I don't want to get married, I'm just nineteen." Jennie protests.

"Who said that we are asking you to get married right now Jennie, Mr Jung said that his son would like to get married in a few years and he is coming to Korea next month and we think it is the perfect time to get you two engaged and fix this relationship.
You can finish your studies by then and if your husband wants you to work, you can work then." Mr Kim said as if what he said was a completely normal thing.