Chapter 3: Outburst

Theo 

"Hey, Theo, dinner's ready," Dad said before knocking and opening the door.

What was even the point if he wouldn't even wait for me to answer anyway.

His eyes fell on me and he pointed, "Hey, you heard me?" he said and I hummed in response.

"Thanks, but I'm not hungry," I said and was about to put my headset back when he said, "Well, your mother and I would still like your presence at the table. Now come on, we're waiting on you."

   Once again without waiting for my answer, he stepped out and closed the door. I groaned, annoyed to have been disturbed. It was the same thing every night. Sometimes I got my way, but others I just ended up getting chewed out for refusing to socialise.

Sigh

That was the last thing I needed right now.

   I looked back at the lit screen of my computer and put the device to sleep. Psycho-Pass will have to wait. I'd gotten comfortable too, but now I had to drag my ass out of bed, literally, just to sit around until they get sick of pretending everything is normal.

"It never will be," I thought as I adjusted the breaks of my wheelchair before sliding off the bed into the seat.

   Upon opening my bedroom door, I caught a whiff of Mom's potato casserole. Immediately my stomach growled, that traitor. Tonight might go easier than I thought. I rolled myself forward, already hearing movement between the kitchen and dining room while my parents spoke in a low tone.

"Delilah agreed to take him in the morning. That girl is so sweet," I heard my mother say and my hands gripped the handrims, putting the share to a sudden stop.

My heartbeat picked up as an early feeling crept up my spine? What was Delilah supposed to do?

"That's perfect. See, I told you there was no need to worry," my father said and I heard my mother sigh.

"I know I shouldn't, but you know I can't help it. After everything it must be so hard for him. Having her there will be good for him. I just know it," my mother said.

My thoughts were going a mile a second. What did they ask her to do?

   Knowing the only way I'd get answers, I rolled forward and took a left turn for the dining room. Standing behind the table, I found my parents holding each other. Mom looked like she was about to cry but I had no time to care.

"What's going on with Delilah?" I blurred out, announcing my presence.

Mom pulled away from Dad and made her way around the table, "Oh, Theo," she said as she approached me.

   Placing both hands on the armrest as she usually did, she sighed before she began to speak. "Something came up with one of the properties we're working on so Dad and I have to take a little unexpected trip tomorrow. I asked Delilah if she could drive you to and from school and she agreed," Mom said.

She smiled at me expectedly but when I remained quiet for too long her face fell.

"Why the fuck would you do that?" I asked, not minding my tone or my words as I processed this information.

Mom blinked and her mouth fell open before she looked to Dad for help.

"I..." she whispered.

"As if saving me once wasn't bad enough. Now you want her to babysit too," I spouted the words, my anger growing as Dad took a few steps forward.

"Easy there, kid. You might want to watch the way you're talking to your mother," he said with a surly expression now on his face.

I knew Mom did nothing wrong, but I couldn't stand having these two team up on me just because I don't want to be embarrassed in front of the girl I...

Stop!

   I couldn't go there. What would be the point? It's not like anything could ever have now that I'm... The corners of my eyes began to blur so I lowered my head to keep my mother from seeing the emotions springing to the surface. But then, all I could see were my useless legs. The dead weight I had to drag around and for what?

"Theo..." Mom began to say, I knew what was coming, but I couldn't take it.

So I pulled away, wheeling the chair back. Only I didn't realize she was still using it for support so she nearly fell but caught herself before her knees hit the ground.

"Theo what the hell," my father shouted as he came up behind her.

I didn't care to look back to catch the look on their face as I left the room while uttering a simple, "I'm not hungry," on my way out.

I was wrong for that. I knew it even before I heard my mother's sobs, but a man had to get his pride back somehow. If I can even consider myself that.

   Back in my room I hid from the pending screaming match that'd surely ensue. I stayed at my desk, simply staring out the window as the sky turned black. I didn't need more time with Delilah to know I was no longer the guy I once was. We were both guilty of watching each other, peeking behind blinds just to catch glimpses of each other's life. There was a time I didn't need to hide, but back then it wasn't pity that I saw in her eyes.

   Behind me the floorboards creaked before a knock sounded on the door. I didn't answer, wishing to wallow in self-pity some more. Tomorrow I might not get to control even that.

"I'm just here to drop off your laundry," Mom said to announce her entrance.

   The walls light up as light from the hallway illuminated the room. Mom was at the dresser, opening and closing drawers as she arranged my clothes in their designated spot. Still, I didn't turn around, but slowly the guilt began gnawing at me.

"How pathetic can you get?" I thought, replaying the events that led up to this.

"Alright, you're all set," Mom said on an exhale.

   Her tone was gentle, non-confrontational, with a hint of sadness. I'd been the reason for that. With her shadow before me on the wall, I could see her struggling with what to do next, torn between leaving me to sulk some more, or attempt to rectify things and risk another outburst.

My jaw tightened as I watched her dilemma. I had my choice to make, so I turned around to face her.

Her round face was red around there nose and eyes. Seeing her shocked expression, it was clear she expected nothing from me, not even the apology she deserved.

"I'm sorry about earlier," I said finally.

Somehow, I managed to look her int he eyes as I said that. She brought a hand to her chest, clutching imaginary pearls as fresh tears came rolling down her cheeks.

She threw aside the empty laundry basket and closed the distance between us, "My boy, it's okay. It's okay, honey," she said in that reassuring, motherly voice.

Her arms wrapped around me tightly, giving me the comfort I didn't deserve, not after the way I acted like she was just trying to help.

   I hugged her back and allowed my mind to wonder back to the days when this was normal for us. The years when smiles came easy, for everyone. Before everything went to hell. When I could still stand on my own two feet.

~Thank you for reading this chapter.~

~Remember to vote if you like it.~

~I hope you're doing well.~

~Love you!~