𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐

─── ・ 。゚♡: *

─── ・ 。゚♡: *.☽ .* :♡ ˚。・ ───

My head was throbbing as I peered my eyes open from the bright sunbeams that were shining on my face.

That's when I noticed I was still sitting inside the moving car, and that my head was still leaning against Alice's cool, marble neck. My mind began to wonder how long I had been asleep, as I thought it was not even past midnight yet when we had departed Forks the night before.

"You're awake."

I lifted my head to see Alice grinning warmly at me, waking me up almost immediately despite the pounding sensation that was stinging through my temples.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize I had fallen asleep on you." I hastily said.

"No need to apologize, love, you don't bother me — I'm happy that you got some rest." She beamed positively.

"Where are we?" I asked hurriedly. "What time is it?"

"We just arrived in Phoenix." She answered. "And it's a quarter past five pm."

"Already?" I asked in surprise, beginning to recognize that we indeed were by the familiar atmosphere I saw through the tinted car windows.

The tall green palm trees, the unconcealed, bright yellow sun, the freeway we were driving on, everything looked like home, but didn't feel like home at that moment.

"Have I been asleep for longer than two days?" I inquired.

"No, silly," she giggled. "We made it here in less than a day — all thanks to Jasper's fast driving."

"I'll never understand how none of you ever get pulled over for speeding." I scoffed jokingly, as Alice laughed.

"Do you know where we'll be staying at?" I then asked.

"We'll be staying at the Hyatt Hotel here in Phoenix for now — until we hear any news from Carlisle." She told me.

"Do you still not know how long we'll be here?"

"That I still can't see," she admitted disappointingly. "So, unfortunately, I don't know the exact amount of time it could take for them to find the tracker. Hopefully, it won't be too long."

I nodded before I turned to my right and saw Bella leaning against the glass window, still fast asleep. I knew she was likely just as scared and exhausted as I was.

"The hotel should be located just around the corner." Jasper notified us, as he turned onto the exit of the freeway, and onto a different road.

After driving further down the busy, traffic-filled street, Jasper turned left down another road. There, we saw the tall, beige-tinted hotel.

I decided to gently shake Bella's shoulder to wake her up as Jasper drove through the parking lot for an empty spot. She slowly flickered her eyes open, seemingly disoriented and unaware of where she was.