Pirates

Akina stepped out of the stately cabin that had been given to her for the ship's journey, pulling her thickest cloak around her tightly as she tried to protect herself from the icy wind of the sea. They were travelling south, having passed the northern reach of Clairval a few days ago, though she hadn't seen land since they had left Ivenmers, though her cousin and the captain had been updating her on their progress with a map on the wall of her chambers.

The ship bustled, and Akina stayed out of the way, tucking to the side beside the staircase that would take her up to the higher deck, where the captain would be steering the ship. The water wasn't excessively rough today, and the clouds were beginning to break up, scattering golden sunshine through the two sails that were up and straining as the wind pushed them south. The third sail, the biggest in the middle, was completely off the mast, and much of the bustle was occurring around it.

Akina frowned then climbed the stairs for a better view, walking to where her cousin, Cansal, was steering the ship. He was a few years older than her and looked every part the dashing sailor, with his wind tossed red curls and functional sailing clothing, his blue eyes laughing even as he gripped the wheel tightly.

When she was much younger, she'd had a crush on him, and he'd only grown more attractive as they grew up. But their fathers had been brothers, and Cansal was the first-born son of Duke Reno of Ivenmers, so her childish fancy had faded as she had matured. Cansal had treated her like a younger sister, but over the past year or so they had grown apart, as Cansal was learning how to look after his future provinces and she had been learning how to reign over an entire country.

In fact, it had surprised her when Cansal had come along on this voyage back home. Though watching him now, Akina assumed it was for the adventure and not for the childhood loyalties. Ivenmers might be connected by blood to the Royal family, but they were still decidedly neutral in the country's brewing troubles. It was a wonder that Akina had been allowed to stay in school for as long as she had, but as she entered her twenties, her mother had finally called her home.

"What happened to the third sail?" Akina asked her cousin after he had bowed to her, casting a glance back in that direction.

"Storm last night hit the rigging. It was in tatters when they hoisted it." Cansal offered a shrug, casting her a side-glance. "And before you ask, no, I didn't do it to extend the trip. We're out of Clairval's waters right now, and the Navy still hasn't shown up."

Akina frowned deeper and glanced out over the water, crossing her arms over her chest. "I know you like adventure, cousin, but I know you wouldn't do anything like that. Are we worried?"

"Cautiously aware of the dangers, I think." Cansal gave her a lopsided smile, before nodding in the direction they were travelling. "Once we get past the dangerous currents, we're cutting back closer to land. We should have cut past Newport early this morning. Next big port is Watersbreak. There's a few more scattered around, but tiny things that the captain wasn't keen on trying."

"And Watersbreak is alright?" Akina stared off at the horizon, forcing out a slow breath.

Cansal chuckled softly. "Any Peer will offer you safety, Princess. The politics are just for show."

"I've heard the Peers in audience with your father, trying to sway him into taking a side. People talk of civil war. I'm not blind to it." Akina shook her head. "And Watersbreak is in bed with Morningside."

Akina didn't miss his sideways glance at her, as if he had more to say on the topic, but instead he shook his head and glanced back out over the boat and the waters ahead of them. "We're not stopping in Watersbreak. We're limping, but we'll make it easily enough. The third sail just gives a big vessel like this one a bit of extra speed. It would just be nice if we had an escort. This isn't much of a fighting ship on a good day."