Countenance

Akina knew that a casual dinner like the one she had planned was completely unheard of, completely unwarranted, with a group of outright strangers, one of which may be carrying tidings of war and rebellion. But Captain Darya had been invited before she could deliver the letters that had come from Morningside and Watersbreak, before those tidings could be given to the Regency. She paused for a moment, knowing that the intimate settings like this were reserved for friends with no secrets, no impending disasters between them, but she hadn't been able to think of anything else to do.

Akina needed more from Rulin, both the information that they were offering her as proof against Corvin and a stronger alliance, and she also needed to acknowledge the Vayan party that had been here for several weeks now. And then the Lady Rakier had shown up and Reynald had told her to take faith, that perhaps the incident with the pirates had been more than the errant musings of a rebel younger sister.

He hadn't explained it, but he had met with the woman already, and she trusted his judgement, so here she was, standing in a back corridor, fighting the fear building within her that was telling her to turn and run away.

But she was a Princess, and her mother needed her to do this. Her nation needed her to be strong, so she nodded to herself and stepped out into the warm evening breeze, hearing the laughter wash over her from the conversation. As she moved around the corner, she saw Lady Darya. She could tell the woman from her two Knights in the way the silent sentinels protected the woman as she stood in a half comfortable posture.

They were close to the same age. They should have been friends.

They would have grown up together if things had been different. Darya and her sister could have been like older sisters to her, closed confidants like the Rakiers of old. Fifty years ago, they would have been friends, but now they were possibly enemies. Amongst the Vayans and Rulin, Darya was small and clearly stood out, but Akina knew that the woman possibly had more in common with the ambassador's parties than she had with the Rakiers. Two humans, two Clairvalans, more opposed than they were with different nations, different races of people.

She walked forward, offering as genuine a smile as she could to all of them, allowing her servants to introduce her before addressing them all. "Welcome to Clairval."

Lady Darya offered a respectful bow, giving her a careful look. "Majesty. Thank you for your welcome."

Akina smiled a little more, then pushed forward. "I have been waiting months to thank you, Captain Darya, for your aid to me and my cousin, Cansal this spring."

Darya arched a brow in surprise, her eyes flickering around to the group of others who had fallen silent. It seemed that there was something that the Rulin and Vayan parties did not know. After a thoughtful pause, Darya shook her head. "I was hunting those pirates for weeks. I didn't know you were on board, but it wouldn't have changed anything if I had. I am glad that we made it on time to avert a disaster, that you and the heir to Ivenmers were unharmed."

The woman's voice held no flattery, no attempt at trying to curry favour, but it also didn't hold malice. It was as if Lady Darya was exactly how she presented herself to the world, which was surprisingly refreshing, though she could see why people spoke of her lack of respect for court protocols.

"You also dedicated your ships to escort us to safety. I understand you also trade. I hope the amount we sent to compensate for your lost time and wages was sufficient."

Another look of surprise, and Darya smiled with half of her mouth. Her response measured. "I was surprised that your ship was unprotected, majesty. Even so close to our waters, that beast of Ivenmers is a cumbersome and tempting target. My sister mentioned that a payment had been sent, but I haven't had time to look into it. It will go to the crews of the three ships as bonuses, with anything left over being given to the people and councils. But it was unnecessary. I didn't ask for the payment, and we have no standing contract."