Strange Tides

Davanos was just settling into some of the heavier, drier paperwork belonging to the City Guard stationed in Reysana as the sun was brightening the city. He hadn't even had a chance to eat breakfast, when he heard what should have been a simple conversation with a misdirected visitor to their city turn into a heated debate that was distracting enough that he couldn't begin to force himself to look at budget requests from the various guard houses while it continued.

With a sigh, he stood and walked out of his office and towards the public part of the guardhouse, coming around the corner as one of his younger guards was repeating himself calmly to an agitated but well dressed human, in broken Clairvalan.

"We're the City Guard. We don't deal with the work camp."

The human drew himself up, and he wasn't small by human standards, though his head didn't reach the Rulin's shoulders. It caused him to look up at the Guard, all while trying to affect looking down his nose at the same time. "I don't care what you guard. I am here to talk with your commander about one of your prisoners."

"Rainaz, I'll take it from here." Davanos murmured in Rulin as he approached the two of them, placing his helmet thoughtfully on the desk as he allowed his guard to step back from the human, who was dangerously close to getting a fist in the nose.

Or worse.

Rainaz merely offered a stiff acknowledgement and shifted to the side, but remained close and on edge, bristling for a fight.

Davanos paused for a moment as he collected his thoughts and patience, not yet addressing the man who continued to glare and make an attempt at a dominant stance, getting angrier and angrier as Davanos took his time walking over to him.

"This is the office of the City Guard of Rulin." He finally said in Clairvalan.

"Finally, someone who seems to be able to accurately speak a civilised tongue." The man snorted and gave him a direct look, as if issuing a command. "I am Lord Corvin, I am a Peer of the court of Clairval, and I am here to seek the immediate release of one of our prisoners, falsely transported here..."

He was going to continue, but Davanos shook his head and held up a hand, cutting the man off mid-tirade. "I don't really care who's peer you are, or why you think you need to speak with someone. You're in the wrong place. The City Guard does not deal with the work camps. You need to find the Royal Guard in the lower city, or seek attendance with the General of the Royal Guard, if he's still in the city. If he has time, he will speak with you and be able to advise you how to look into your problem."

More anger.

Davanos knew the man was about to boil over, but he watched him calmly, unaffected. He had heard that humans, nobles worst of all, were egotistical and self-involved, and now he was seeing it firsthand. His father had always cautioned that a noble class that didn't know war, that had never had to work to earn their rank, festered like a cancer. It was only because of long ago friendships and trade relationships that Rulin still tolerated dealing with humanity.

"Let me explain this more clearly for you. I'm a Peer. One of the Thirteen High Lords of Clairval, which is a country that has several important trade and peace treaties with Rulin. Due to my rank and position, I frequently advise and associate with the Queen of Clairval and you will show me the respect due to your betters, before I demand an audience with your King, as is my right." The man snapped, whatever fraying cord of self control breaking completely.

The cruel and malicious violence that emanated from him told Davanos everything he needed to know about this 'Peer' of the Queen of Clairval.

"I see." Davanos let out a slow breath, glancing at his helmet, then back to the human who was beginning to gloat.