Chapter Fourteen

That morning classes were postponed and Saint Patrick's College had a general assembly. It was to discuss the risks of drug use and to mourn the death of Ogechi Nwafor. No matter what umbrella they crouched it under, it was still a general assembly and Adaeze hated general assemblies if her track record was anything to go by. There was just something about them, almost like they seemed to drag on longer than they should.

This assembly was held inside at the school's gym—which was mainly a basketball court with bleachers and a podium two teachers had dragged in for the ceremony. It held most of Saint Patrick's student body, but it was at capacity.

Adaeze sat next to Segun on the third row. She was restless. She heard they were going to start drug testing them. Not that she had anything to worry about, she had never even had alcohol let alone a hard drug and she had never even looked at her parent's pill drawer with ill intentions.

There were officials that stood against the wall watching the assemblies' progression. Segun told Adaeze that they were from NDLEA and they were going to give a lecture of their own once Principal Tayo was done. Adaeze was not looking forward to that.

Principal Tayo walked up to the wooden podium. He drummed his fingers on it and glanced around the room almost as if he were collecting his thoughts before he started.

Someone coughed.

"Ladies and gentlemen, today, I stand before you with a heavy heart and a sense of responsibility that goes beyond our roles as educators." He said. He had a thick Yoruba accent. Adaeze was still yet to formally meet him even though her parents had. When she got her admission, Chinedu had been the one to talk to Principal Tayo. "As the principal of this school, I must address an incident that has shaken our community to its core. A young member of our school family recently overdosed on opioids, and it is our duty to respond not only with care and compassion but also with a commitment to educate and protect our students from the dangers of drug abuse." He wrung out his fingers. He was reading from a sheet of paper. Adaeze liked to imagine that he spent a good portion of the morning before the assembly perfecting his speech.

"First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the young student who lost her life. The consequences of drug abuse are real and devastating, and this incident serves as a stark reminder that none of us are immune to its reach."

Adaeze shifted in her seat. She couldn't wrap her mind around what the family must have been going through. From what she heard, Ogechi was the only child of her parents. A loss like that could put the parents in a state of deep depression.

"Drug abuse, particularly opioids, has become a growing problem, not just nationally but also within our own communities. We must acknowledge that this issue knows no boundaries, and it can affect anyone, regardless of age, background, or socioeconomic status."

He paused, flipped the page in his speech and continued. "The risks and dangers associated with drug abuse are profound. Opioids, in particular, are highly addictive and can lead to severe health problems, overdose, and even death. The tragedy we face today underscores the urgency of addressing this issue head-on."

Adaeze glanced left then right, both her friends were paying rapt attention to what Principal Tayo was saying. "I will conclude by saying thank you, and let us all work together to keep our school and our community safe and drug-free." He resolved.

The room erupted in chants and applauds.

Next to take the floor was one of the three NDLEA officials. He was a man that looked days over fifty with a bored expression on his face. He walked up to the podium. He cleared his throat. "Ladies and gentlemen, I stand before you today as a representative of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) with a crucial message." He stared them down.