Chapter Twenty-Two

She didn't know if it was worth it. She didn't know why she felt compelled to do it. She already had more than enough proof that the leather-bound book knew what it was talking about. And yet, Adaeze stopped in her tracks outside Zainab Ibrahim's hostel room, E212, nervously clutching her phone in her hand. She had a plan, not the best plan, but a plan nonetheless.

She took a deep breath and knocked on the door. She waited.

"Come in," Zainab's voice called from inside. She loosened her shoulders. It was too late to back out now.

Adaeze pushed the door open and stepped into the room. Zainab Ibrahim was alone. She was sitting on her bed, engrossed in a book. She looked up, her eyes narrowing slightly. "Hey, I haven't seen you since..." She clicked her fingers trying to recall like it had been that long ago. "The other day." She finished off.

"Yeah," Adaeze nodded, a friendly smile etched on her face. "Mind if we talk for a bit?"

Zainab shrugged, closing her book. "Sure, why not?" She sat up straighter. "What's on your mind?"

Adaeze sat on the edge of the bed, keeping her phone in her hand. "I just wanted to say thanks, you know," She stared at a spot on the floor. "Thanks for being a friend to me when I needed one. It means a lot," She smiled at Zainab. "Epecially in this place." She added as an afterthought.

Zainab arched an eyebrow, seemingly surprised by the sincerity in Adaeze's tone. "Well, we all need someone. It's no big deal."

Adaeze nodded, "Still, thank you. It really means something to me." She said. She cleared her throat. She needed to keep the conversation going, to keep Zainab distracted. "So, I saw that Michael Nnamdi got suspended. Quite a shock, huh?"

Zainab's eyes flickered with a hint of curiosity. "Yeah, it was unexpected. We never thought he would get caught." With the way they talked about his drinking habits, it was a miracle he didn't get caught sooner.

Adaeze feigned a casual shrug. "Yeah. The way you guys talked about it the other day... I don't know. I mean, it's a serious thing, right? Drugs and all. Don't you wonder how he got involved in that mess?" She knew he was from a family of lawyers and they must have been too busy to be there for him, too busy give him the nurturing he needed to steer clear of alcohol and drugs.

Zainab's gaze remained steady on Adaeze. "Why are you so interested?"

Adaeze chuckled nervously, shifting her weight on the bed. "I guess I'm just nosy. It's hard not to be in a place like this." She hoped that would suffice.

Zainab's expression softened slightly, and Adaeze seized the moment. "Speaking of which, have you ever thought about reaching out to Michael? You know, considering you guys are friends and all?"

Zainab sighed, looking away. "We were friends. Past tense. I don't know what he's up to now, and frankly, I don't care." Woah, that came out of left field. Even if it was clear Zainab wasn't his biggest fan Adaeze at least thought they tolerated each other.

Adaeze nodded. "Fair enough. People change, right?"

"Not him." Zainab said passionately.

With the girl distracted, Adaeze discreetly placed her phone on the bedside table. She knew Zainab's reputation for being a kleptomaniac, and if her assumptions were correct, the phone wouldn't be returned to her.

"You know what, it was stupid, I shouldn't have brought it up the last thing I wanted was to rile you up." Adaeze said. She fell silent for a few seconds. "Well, I won't keep you any longer," Adaeze said, standing up. "Thanks again, Zainab. I appreciate your friendship."