Chapter Nineteen

After a few phone calls, Segun was able to find Aisha Aminu, Khadija Ahmed's roommate.

She agreed to meet with them outside one of the many benches that lined the quad.

It was a sunny afternoon when Adaeze and Segun stepped out through the wooden doors and down the stone steps. The birds were chirping and the trees whispered to one another.

"I know I said I wouldn't ask any questions, but, wanna tell me why you're looking for Khadija?"

She knew it was going to come up. There was no way he was going to agree to help her without asking any questions.

Adaeze shook her head hoping he would respect her privacy and not pry.

He nodded.

She let out a sigh of relief.

They walked side by side in silence after that with Segun checking his phone every now and again. Even if Adaeze had her phone with her she didn't even have anyone's numbers yet which rendered her and the device useless at the moment. She made a mental note to get everyone's number once everything blew over.

She wondered how long it took him to get to the point he was at. For God's sake, Segun knew everyone. He knew exactly who to call that would know where to find Aisha Aminu. It was like a special skill. But rather than applaud his talent, Adaeze remained skeptical. He had to know more than he was letting on. It was the only thing that made sense to her.

As they walked over freshly watered grass beneath their shoes, Adaeze couldn't help but let her mind do what it did best. She let it wonder.

"What if something happened to her?" She voiced her concerns. She didn't know much about Saint Patrick's College, but what if this was a norm for them? Kids dropping like flies? What if there really was a killer on the lose someone who got to Ogechi, made it look like a suicide and made Khadija Ahmed their second victim?

"Like what?" He sounded genuinely curious and hadn't put two and two together. However, when he read the look on her face, it clicked. He let out a chuckle. "Don't tell me you think she's..." He made a gesture of slicing his neck with his finger. "I know things look kind of bad right now at Saint Patrick, but I don't think there's someone out there killing random students."

"Then how do you explain what happened to Ogechi?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Might I remind you, that was a suicide, an isolated incident. Which I assume is why you want to talk to Khadija Ahmed, you feel she knows something, don't you?" He wasn't completely wrong.

The reason why Adaeze wanted to see Khadija was because she believed the girl knew something. Not about Ogechi, but about the leather-bound book and Femi's alleged secret.

They found Aisha Aminu seated beneath a tall orange tree, it's branches stretching out as if reaching for something. Aisha didn't have on her blazer. No, that was sitting folded neatly next to her. Her hair was hidden beneath a scarf that she tied securely around her neck.

Closer, the girl looked sleep deprived and Adaeze wanted to ask why? Did she know something Adaeze didn't? She had to.

Segun and Adaeze stopped in their tracks in front of her.

"How can I help you?" She looked up at them squinting beneath the glare of the sun.

"We're looking for Khadija Ahmed, we know you're her roommate and the best person to ask." Segun went straight for the point. He had his arms crossed over his chest.

"She hasn't resumed." Was all Aisha had to say.

"Aren't you worried about her?" Adaeze asked softly.