13

Delhi

He made a sudden, persistent cough after her statement so that she could get the hint he was giving her to correct herself or he would, which she wouldn't like because he would take that evidence to the station, and her apology wouldn't work to stop him.

"Poonam!"

Her brain ignored him and instead, turned over to the voice that pronounced her name, and she quickly flipped herself towards the door at him, Rudra.

"Dear husband?" he asked, unable to make sense of what he heard her say.

Abhimanyu exhaled a long sigh, as when he thought it couldn't get any worse, it got. Her boyfriend was before his whole family, and she, forgetting they were still married, ran towards him and hugged him. His eyes slowly trailed to his family, and from their look, they revealed they weren't pleased with her behaviour. They shook their heads together, eying them both. They were a respectable family, and the daughters there never hugged anyone except a brother within the family.

"How did you find me?" she drew back and asked with excitement because he had come just like a prince on a white horse to save her from the dungeon.

"What did I hear you say? The vermillion, the wedding chain? Lehenga? Husband?" His hand cleaned off the powder in her hair.

"I said, Dear Husband, I really don't have a problem if you want to divorce me to marry someone else. It is a compulsion. You know I can never marry just anyone." She blurted, her lips being replaced with a smile of joy. Cupping his face, which the whole family found strange for her to behave like that when he wasn't her husband, she whispered, "Take me out of India immediately. One way or another, make sure I leave India. I'm stuck in a situation."

"Introduce your brother to my family, Poonam." Abhimanyu slid his hand around her waist upon arriving at where they were. His cold hand caused her to shiver.

"Brother? Are yo....." she wanted to attack him for defining their relationship in a cheap way, but,

"Evidence! Jail!" he whispered while scratching his nose with a smile plastered on his face, cutting her off.

"What evi...." Rudra started to voice his confusion. She immediately held his hand and shook her head, making him pause.

"Mother, father, meet Poonam's brother."

"A childhood friend," she corrected. Her voice was stiff and rigid because, despite him being an ordinary man, he was forcing her to do what he wanted, which she hated as no one till date dared to force her to do anything.

He gulped down his breath, fighting the battle in his heart, to let him send her to jail even though her powerful family could have the chance to save her rather than avenge what he wanted to because she was not worried about everything she had done. "I don't care if the law punishes her or not. I will punish her personally before exposing her," his mind remarked said, giving her a hard stare.

"Return to the room."

"How can I leave my friend when he is here? That's not how we treat guests. Especially him. A very special guest!"

He noticed her hand getting clasped with his, and more so, issuing him a wide grin.

"Should we go? Let's go for breakfast somewhere. Permit me to take her with me for a couple of hours." The man shamelessly reacted after being quiet for long.

He silently approved with a nod, and they left because her leaving was better at the moment, or his family would never accept her into their lives.

"What is this? Is this the woman you went and married? She doesn't care for or love you. It's evident in her actions. I will never accept her as your life partner." His father furiously conveyed the thoughts he was holding onto because of her presence.