30

Delhi

He was back at the station. However, not to release her but to meet her. He went into the prison to her cell, where she was.

She was seated and staring blankly at nowhere, anxiously waiting for the morning to arrive so that she could leave the hell. Though she wasn't sure she would, she still had more hope she would leave than not leave. When she saw Abhimanyu coming, at that time which was still dark, she suspected something about her bail was what kept him awake. More confidently, her eyes matched his as he approached, her face pretending to be as calm as ever.

"Who wants you released from here?" he demanded angrily.

"I promise you I will leave this hell in the morning, and along with that, I will make sure you're given an indefinite suspension. The next time, anyone who will fill in your shoes will think twice before arresting someone like me." She threatened him with a calm voice, still seated, because she didn't see the need to get up and move closer to him, as he wasn't deserving of getting close to her again—not that he was ever worthy.

"Mrs. Poonam Abhimanyu Ahluwalia," he voiced, and she mocked the name with a cheerful chortle, telling him,

"Poonam Kapoor. Poonam Anand Kapoor."

"Even if you're to leave this place, the only place you would be going to next is my house because we haven't yet gotten divorced. I will disclose that we got married. I would then love to see how the law would be able to meddle in our personal affairs," he uttered as he had prepared for her. Whatever it would cost him, he was willing to give it, but he would ensure she faced trial.

For some moments, she had forgotten they were married and never thought that she would have to return there. Even though her face showed no emotion of being taken aback with shock and thoughts, she smiled, revealing all her white teeth, and replied to him with her unwavering confidence, "My father will not let that happen."

"You will choose which life you prefer. The one in jail, or living with me until your appearance in court." He ended with a shrug so that she would know whichever answer she would eventually give had no difference to him because he didn't care, and he turned, then slowly walked until he disappeared into the darkness.

"You have no idea who I am, Mr. Abhimanyu. But you will understand soon." She murmured, her head already cooking how she would get her divorce as soon as possible.

****

"What are these?" He eyed the papers placed on his desk with suspicion.

"Bail from prison to be jailed at home until appearance in court." The inspector continued to explain the details in the papers. All the while, there was a disappointing smile on Abhimanyu's lips and sadness in his eyes. He had failed as an officer to uphold his oath because, despite everything, he couldn't save the others, and now he was to set her free in exchange for their safety. The thirty minutes they had given him earlier had elapsed, and because he didn't sign her bail papers, they killed ten people who were in their possession.

Guilt convinced him to sign it, and the inspector took it back, saluted him, and left.

••••

"Riddhima," the hand that moved all over her face, caused a tingly sensation in her, which made her open her eyes, and she saw it was none other than her mother—Shraddha trying to wake her up.

"Mother," the surprise in her voice was evident in seeing her there. She yawned, still very sleepy, but at the same time managed to cover her mouth before stepping out of the car after her mother gave her the space to do so.

"We received a call that Poonam would be placed under house arrest. It's better, at least. She will eat hygienic food and sleep in a comfortable bed. You..."

She cut her through when she hugged her out of excitement over the piece of news.

"You've made my day like always," she shared, having a wide grin even after pulling back and peeking into her mother's angelic face.

"Let's go in and see what's keeping your dad."