Chapter 7

The following week, I attended a charity skate hosted by the Bexley Bruisers for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Every year, Bruisers players volunteer to skate with children and sign autographs. The event helps raise money for the hospital, while children and their families can win prizes and meet the team.

Of course, I'll admit after the kiss I shared with Cash at the photo shoot, I'm nervous to see him again, but I've given myself a good prep talk in preparation for his presence. Over the past few weeks, I've thought long and hard about my options in dealing with him, and I am sure I have a solid plan.

Keep a safe distance.

Walking quickly into the arena, where children are being ushered onto the ice, I check my reflection in the mirrored windows. I have on my favourite go-to little black dress that hugs my curves in all the right places, high heels, and a pair of boho-chic-inspired earrings I made the night before.

"Quinn," Theo calls out and waves me over.

I smile and walk down the concrete steps toward the glass surrounding the perimeters of the rink. I turn my head to my left to glimpse at the numerous volunteers engaging children in activities on the rink before the players are welcomed.

"It looks fantastic in here!" I turn to Theo, a broad grin on his face. "I can't believe the amount of people."

"As you can see, it's one of the major fundraising events of the year." He motions his hand toward the crowd of people filing into the arena. "I can't wait to introduce you to some of our biggest sponsors."

"Thanks, Theo. I'm looking forward to it."

All the air vacuums from my lungs, and my heart kicks into overdrive when I see that trademark honey hair swim into focus on my far right with his arm wrapped around a tall strawberry blonde.

Keep a safe distance. I remind myself.

"Sorry, Quinn," Theo says, breaking my eyes away from Cash and the mystery woman. "Coach Bartley is waving me down. I'll be right back."

I absentmindedly nod, and Theo disappears into the crowd. I try to look away from Cash, but his broad shoulders fill his jersey in a way that would make any other man feel inadequate in his presence. His blue eyes sparkled with laughter from whatever danced out of her pink lips. Strangely, his demeanour is relaxed, and little to no arrogance radiates from him while he converses with her. I wondered if she could be his sister for a second, noticing the comfortable and familiar air between them.

His mouth spreads into a slow, smug smile when his eyes meet mine. Catching me off guard, my cell phone buzzes in my clutch. I pull it out and quickly turn it off, seeing Aiden's number illuminated on my screen. When I look back up, I see Cash abruptly excuse himself. He stalks in my direction, geared from head to toe in his complete equipment.

Oh Shit.

All the air drains from their lungs, and the room suddenly becomes tenser and heavier the closer he gets. Once he is in front of me, one side of his mouth turns up as he leans against the wall and crosses his arms in front of his chest. "Where are your skates?"

I laughed once. "I'm not here to skate around with you, Cash. I'm here to make sure the event runs smoothly. It's my job."

He looks back at the strawberry blonde, texting on her cell and then back to me. "Who were you on the phone with?"

"Shouldn't you be worried about who your date is on the phone with?"

His gaze flickers to my mouth, and my God, the heat I feel from his subtle shift in sight suddenly has me wishing he would kiss me. Again. As he watches my cheeks flush, the amused grin on his lips makes me almost forget where I am.