Bloom To Fall

As she pulled up the blanket, footsteps creaking on the wooden floor froze her. The blanket fell in her lap. 'Just think about the clouds on a sunny day- no, rainy day. But sunny clouds look good don't they? Then why did Mother ask me to imagine rainy clouds? Will something go wrong if I imagine sunny clouds? What if I don't imagine clouds at all? What if I imagine heia-'

"A long day wasn't it?" Her attention shifted to Shinichi as he sat in front of her. Having changed into a more comfortable Yukata he looked much more relaxed and laid back than any time she had seen him. Just once, that is.

'Smile. Don't forget the damn smile. Smile while looking down and he will bring your chin up himself. What if he doesn't though?'

Shinichi lifted her chin gently while his other hand held hers to prevent her from gripping the life out of the poor blanket. His hands felt rough to the touch, yet warm, "It all happened too soon, new home, new province, new people..."

"Yes!" She spoke straight away, only to regret it a second later, "No- I mean, yes... but I'll-" her insides were shivering, effects of early spring breeze perhaps.

The samurai's hand moved from her chin to her cheek, patting it softly, "Shh, it's fine." his lips curved up a notch, caressing her cheekbone with his thumb. An action that got her heart work up. "Oka-san already likes you if that's what you're worried about."

"No" The bride managed a timid smile for a response, "Your mother is so easy to get along with, she's so sweet and-."

"Our mother" Shinichi interjected. "You see... we're a family now, Oka-san, Oto-san..." He held Megumi's cold hand even more firmly. "you, and me."

Trying to avoid eye contact Megumi nods, "I'm sorry"

"And as a family, as husband and wife," his hand skimmed through the silky sleeve of her kimono, finally reaching down to hold her other hand "We shouldn't have any secrets and hesitations, hm?"

She nods in response, not looking up from the pattern of her kimono, following the intricate pattern with her eyes. Trying to let her mind wander and escape.

Her absence of mind wasn't hidden from the samurai and he wanted to know if shyness was the only reason behind it. Holding both of her hands he said, "Look up Megumi" and she did. "What do you think of me?"

Megumi gnawed at him for a good while. 'Doesn't he know it's too early to form opinions? we just met over lunch once, even if I tell him something it'll either be too plain or a lie...'

"Megumi?..."  

"Huh- yes?" She snapped out of it, masking her judgemental expression.

Shinichi leaned a little closer, his voice dropping a decibel, "I asked something."

"Yeah..." Seeing him scoot closer she wanted to back off, but there were certain expectations from her, explained to her by her sister-in-law.  Revolting against your husband's advances went against all of them. "About that... yes..." 'Say something, anything. Anything good.' "You're..." looking at him her gaze fell on his shoulders, his arms that the Yukata couldn't hide much of. 'Okay here goes nothing' "A strong man..." She said softly.

"Indeed am," His smirk gave her an ick, yet she found it weirdly attractive, who knows why. 'And here I boosted his ego, but... ugh.'

Shinichi intertwines his right hand with hers, "I hope my hands aren't too rough for your liking..." He said leaning in that made the hair on the back of her neck stand up.

'NO SHIT. DON'T COME CLOSER, TOO CLOSE! TOO CLOSE! NO. SHIT. FUCK.' 

She felt his breath dangerously close to hers when he held her gently by her shoulders, "Ease in beautiful," He spoke in a feathery voice, barely above a whisper.