III - The Old Hermit

The jungle proved far cooler than the hot sands of the beach.

When the stranger asked them what they were doing on the beach, Liana and Jerrim had explained that they had become shipwrecked. After some hesitation, the stranger had offered to tend to Jerrim's wounds, and led them to his hut further in the jungle.

They both knew that staying with the stranger was their best bet for survival, for now.

The dense jungle was alive with the chirps and calls of countless birds and bugs, not to mention the odd creature they spotted scuttling through the underbrush. What was most strange to Liana were the impossibly tall trees, and the overly large leaves that made up the thick ceiling of the jungle–a far cry from the sparse saplings in the northern Central Plains.

They stopped when the pain became too much for Jerrim. Liana supported him as best she could, though fatigue soon took her and she stumbled more than once. When the old man eventually offered to take Jerrim, she reluctantly refused, not trusting her friend with the stranger just yet.

Liana had never seen magic like the old man had conjured on the beach–or any magic that was as powerful as he wielded. She wondered what source his power came from, unsure if she wanted to know the answer. The device he had used made her think he was a Halitae-Magus, and this thought caused her to eye the stranger wearily. If he was the race that was considered rivals to Liana's own people, the Halitae, she would have to be extra careful.

The old man, who spoke little beyond what was necessary, appeared to know the jungle very well. While Jerrim lay exhausted during one rest, the stranger told them he would find them something to eat, and disappeared into the jungle.

Alone with Jerrim once again, Liana studied her injured friend, frowning at his wound.

"Li," Jerrim said, stifling a grimace, "how did everything go so wrong? We were so close to the Mare..."

"Forget about that for now," Liana said. "We need to get away from this guy as soon as we can."

Jerrim studied her, searching for an answer.

"You saw his tech," Liana said. "And you saw what he could do. Jerri, he's a Magus!"

Jerrim shook his head. "We don't know that. Not for sure."

"Come on, you know he is. I'm not putting our lives in the hands of a Magus. What if he finds out who I am?" Liana shook her head. A Halitae trapped on an island, at the mercy of a Magus – she wouldn't last a minute.

The foliage shifted near them. The stranger appeared with a bundle of leaf-wrapped fruit, and handed them one each.

Though she was cautious of the strange furry fruit at first, Liana could not deny how hungry she was, and knew that Jerrim needed to eat too. She quickly took a bite, before it was obvious that she was testing the fruit before Jerrim could, hoping they were as safe as they appeared.

She was surprised how juicy and tasty the yellow fruit was, and felt greatly relieved by its refreshing pulp. She was happy to see the colour that returned to Jerrim's cheeks after just a few bites. They drank the sweet juices, not caring where it spilt over them. While Jerrim still only wore his shorts–the rich blue faded to a dull navy–Liana's top and shorts were muddied and dirtied beyond any washing.

She gave the stranger their names, hoping to build some trust between them, and asked his.

"Elias," his harsh voice grumbled, his startling deep, grey eyes studying her closely. Though he said no more.

Liana's entire body ached by the time they reached Elias's home, but she was determined to support Jerrim until she found a safe place to lay him.