VI - The Flames of War

He swept through his hometown of Gerrun Edun, like a bird soaring over the thatched roofs and brown farmland. He saw the docklands and fishing huts where his father spent most of his days. He thought of his time in Gerrun Edun before Liana Keamy moved there with her father, and of the times when he would see her around the town, and of the few times they had spoken. Jerrim still found it hard to believe that he had left their hometown with someone who was little more than a neighbour.

Being partially aware of the dreams he was having, he urged himself to change the scenery. While he attempted to picture the fabled Treasure of the Mare they had set out for, the image of a green field lined with pointed trees came into view. Dozens of birds chirped all around, and the croaking insects gave the field a musical voice of its own. When he noticed spark bugs flittering over the field, the scene reminded him of a forgotten picture he had seen as a child. As he considered the old holy picture, it appeared to come to life before him. A blinding light grew in the air ahead of him.

When the light subsided, the form of a pale-skinned woman looked upon him. Her curly green hair wavered in an unseen wind, as did her flowing robes, which faded away below her waist, leaving a glowing light where her legs should have been.

Jerrim's breath caught, overwhelmed with the sight. Before him was the goddess Xylophia. His goddess... if he were a more religious person. He hadn't prayed to or worshipped her since he was a child and religion had been thrust onto him by his parents.

A smile formed on her heart shaped face, and her large brown eyes were warm and soothing. Somehow, they reminded him of his mother's eyes. He didn't wait for her to speak, for he knew that Xylophia only spoke through the sounds of nature.

The birds and insects continued their chirping, and the leaves and grass rustled audibly, although Jerrim could not determine any words from them.

Xylophia's smile turned into a frown, and her eyes narrowed. The look froze Jerrim.

At first he didn't notice the sky darken, but then he saw the rumbling clouds that formed over the field. They swept over Xylophia, dulling her light and then hiding her, until there was nothing but a dark mist that filled the world.

Tall towers formed within the mist, as did dozens of dark shapes that dotted the land that could now be seen. Explosions erupted across the scene, and Jerrim realised he was seeing a war. He knew the images, somehow, as if someone were explaining them to him. He was witnessing the Shadow Wars. The devastating wars that almost destroyed the world around thirty years ago, when armies of Umbrai Incola left their underground homes and attempted to gain control of Eclauria.

Through the mist he saw one soldier, long hair flowing as he flew through the air throwing balls of light and swinging a great sword. Jerrim felt drawn to this particular soldier, somehow knowing that he was the key to stopping the war and putting an end to the invading forces, known as the Army of Nox. Jerrim had heard the man's name before, for he was a famous war hero, although he could not remember it at that moment. The mist became swept up in the soldier's spinning attacks, and gave way to a growing darkness that built up and surrounded him.

Within the endless darkness came a dull thud.

Then a louder thud.

The front door splintered and crashed to the ground, bringing Jerrim to life.

In the dim darkness of the hut, his blurry eyes fixed on a large shadowy figure by the front door, sharp points and bulbous armour giving the intruder a monstrous silhouette.

Two more figures squeezed through the entrance behind the first, revealing the large rifles they carried.

Jerrim cried out before he realised he had done so. It was a cry of alarm and of warning to Liana, who was jerking awake in her bedroom crevice.