VIII - The Fight Back

The pleasant scene did not last long, and their situation and surroundings soon came back to Liana.

At once they were off into the dark jungle again. Elias soothed the excited Hooky with hushing sounds and open palm gestures.

As they walked, Jerrim reached down to scratch the back of Hooky's ear, but the creature shied away and nestled further into the folds of Elias's coat, giving off a small growl. Liana and Jerrim shared a questioning look, wondering what to make of Hooky's uncharacteristic behaviour.

They came upon a field of tall grass that stretched almost as high as them, with several rock formations reaching above the grass. An unseen creature called out in a rippling cry, and was met by a croaky call further away. Liana hugged herself, trying not to think of all the unknown life forms hidden in the darkness.

By the largest of the rocks, Elias stopped and told them to wait for him. He then jogged to the edge of the clearing and laid another of his mechanical traps among the rising leaves, before doing the same on the opposite side of the field.

When Elias was done, he turned to them, and froze.

A chill ran through Liana when she saw the wide-eyed look on Elias. She strained to hear or see what had made him pause. Blades of grass brushed against her arm and sent another shiver through her, and she suddenly felt very exposed.

Their protector quickly snatched the trap he had just laid and threw it into the darkness to the side of them. It connected with a shadow Liana had not seen, and in the electricity that burst out she saw the form of a stout armoured figure convulsing. Their attacker fell to the ground as rigid as a statue.

Hooky cried out and darted towards Elias.

Stomping footsteps and clinking armour came from behind, and Liana spun to see another attacker approaching them through the tall grass. A blast of red energy shot from his rifle. Jerrim shoved her and they both fell to the ground, narrowly missing the shot.

Jerrim rolled off her and became lost within the undergrowth. Liana kept low, hoping the darkness and tall grass would hide her for the moment. With a racing heart she edged closer to the soldier's direction.

Hooky's cries and growls rang through the air, and a flash of white light and commotion told her that Elias was fighting with another invader nearby. Rising to a crouched position, she tightened her grip on the spanner-blade and held it over her shoulder, ready to strike.

Their attacker stepped closer, his searching rifle aimed low, but he had not seen her yet.

When he was as close as she dared him to be, Liana jumped out and swung her weapon as hard as she could. The rifle spun from the soldier's hands and fell into the nearby grass.

Her attacker moved quicker than she could have imagined. Before she could raise her spanner-blade for another attack, the back of a gauntlet swung across her face. She fell to the ground with pain shooting through her burning face and the taste of blood in her mouth. Lights spun through her blurred vision, and for a moment thought she was going to pass out.

Jerrim's shout brought her focus back, and she saw him rush towards the soldier. In an instant, he was lifted up onto the large shoulder pad of the invader and thrown to the ground, becoming lost in the tall grass.

Liana also lost sight of their attacker, and fought through the throbbing pain in her head to look for him through watery eyes.

The armoured soldier came out of the grass, towering over her with his rifle back in hand.