The Interviews

"It would really help if you stopped moving you know?" Cinna asked attempting not to stab me while fixing the final details of my dress.
     "I'm sorry, I'm just nervous." I always got really nervous before a performance and that's what this interview felt like to me. A performance. That and the fact that I was planning to sing.
     "You told me you were great with people. You will be fine. Plus I'm finally finished." Cinna grabbed my hand and twirled me to face the mirror. I was wearing my mom's dress.
     It was fixed and more vibrant than ever but it was the same dress she wore. My hair was down again and it felt like I was looking directly at her. I felt tears roll down my face.
     "Don't go ruining your makeup now." Said Cinna and quickly he dabbed the tears away. I felt at home and all my nerves had flown away.
     "You are a saint." He smiled at me and squeezed my hand. It was time for me to go out. Haymitch had prepared me for this, it was just like performing at the hub.

     A roar of noise immediately hit me as I walked out onto the stage. I had never heard so much cheering in a single place before. I smiled and waved in a perfectly performed way all the way to the seat directly across from Ceasar Flickerman. His bright blue hair was truly blinding.
     "Oh hello darling!" Every word that came out of his mouth sounded like it was being sung. "Wow that dress is truly beautiful. It's the same one from the reaping correct?"
     "Yes that is right! My wonderful stylist Cinna took my mother's dress and brought her soul alive along with it." As if planned the whole audience awwed at the same time. I smiled.
     "That is beautiful. Speaking of the reaping, I'm sure we all have the same question right folks?!" Ceasar looked at the audience and everyone cheered. "It is not often that you see a volunteer from twelve, so who was the girl you volunteered yourself for?"
     "Well umm..." My throat felt tight all of a sudden and tears stung at my eyes. "That was Prim, my best friend's little sister. Both of them are like family to me." I tried my hardest to swallow my tears. I thought about how Katniss would feel about being mentioned on live tv. She probably hates me right now.
     "That is a truly noble reason to volunteer. Keeping a family together. That was very brave of you and I hope you are able to see them again." Every word that Ceasar said felt so genuine. He was good at his job.
     "Now if I remember correctly you also sang at the reaping?!" The energy was right back up again and the audience was laughing.
     "So I've heard!" I laughed along with them.
     "How about you showcase something for us? How about it folks?" The audience erupted into the loudest applause yet. I was expecting this and I had a perfect song prepared. A song that by the way it spoke to me, had meant a lot to me in a past life I'm sure.
    I got up and took a page from Ceasar's book.
    "Folks this is a song that goes out to a boy I met back in twelve. I hope he hears my words." I took a deep breath.

Everyone's born as clean as a whistle
As fresh as a daisy
And not a bit crazy
Staying that way's a hard row for hoeing
As rough as a briar
Like walking through fire

The audience was now quiet. Listening.

This world, it's dark
This world, it's scary
I've taken some hits, so
No wonder I'm wary
It's why I
Need you
You're as pure as the driven snow

     I finished singing and bowed, the audience went crazy. I smiled again and waved as I walked out. Walking past the other tributes felt like I was a deer during hunting season. It was Peeta's turn for the interview now.

     Peeta walked up on stage and immediately fit perfectly in. His hair was slicked and he was in a perfectly tailored suit. He looked like he was supposed to. He looked how he would've, if we lived in a kind world.
     There was a lot of easy banter between both Peeta and Ceasar. He was truly a natural and knew how to handle himself with an audience. I wonder how he learned to do that. Before I could start theorizing, a question by Ceasar caught my attention.
     "Peeta you are a very handsome young man." Understatement. "Thank you Ceasar." Peeta flashed a smile. "It makes me think, there definitely has to be a lucky girl back in twelve." Peeta laughed.
     "I'm serious!" Exclaimed Ceasar but laughed along with Peeta and the crowd.
    "I mean there is someone..."
     Katniss
    "but I doubt she even knew who I was before the reaping." Peeta sounded genuinely sad. It strung at my heart.
     "Oh well, you better win to show her just exactly who you are!" Said Ceasar. Would Katniss want him if he was a winner?
     "I'm afraid winning won't help me at all Ceasar." Peeta probably understood that winning would mean becoming someone he is not. Someone whom Katniss would never be interested in.
     "And why is that?" Asked Ceasar. It didn't surprise me that Ceasar wouldn't understand this. Someone who grew up obsessed with these gamed had probably lost any sensitivity to murder. Peeta took a second to answer the question though, probably thinking of how to word it.
     "Because she came here with me."

What.

     A loud gasp escaped my mouth along with the audience. Every single eye in the room quickly turned to me. My heart was racing and heat was all I could feel on my face. There's no way he's serious.
     "Oh well, that truly is tragic. I wish you both the best of luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor." Ceasar and Peeta hugged and Peeta walked back while Ceasar dismissed the audience watching. I turned around and left to go meet up with Haymitch and Effie before I had to face him.

     As I was walking towards them both, their eyes fully skipped over me.
    "Star-crossed lovers, that's truly genius." Said Haymitch to something (or someone) behind me. I turned around and saw Peeta walking towards us already loosening his tie. A smiled creeped onto my face.
     He smiled back at me before responding to what Haymitch said. My smile only grew bigger. I probably looked like an idiot.
     "It was risky but I definitely think it will get us some sponsors. People love romance." I was a little confused on how what Peeta said would get us any sponsors. Either way I couldn't wait to talk to him. I couldn't want to tell him that I felt the same way.
     "Be grateful sweetheart, Peeta's little story just got you a lot of Capitol appreciation." I was a little confused.
     "Sorry, story?" Maybe Haymitch had a weird way of wording things. He could've very well have been drunk.
     Peeta put his hand on my shoulder and looked me in the eyes. The air was caught in my throat.
     "Yeah, sorry I put you on the spot like that Mila. I didn't mean to embarrass you, but I thought about it and saying I had feelings for you would really make the people feel for us. I mean you're great so it wouldn't be hard to make believe." Peeta flashed me a smile.

Make believe.

Right.

Everything made sense now.