Chapter 2: First Day

I'm good at making friends. Always have been. Connections are a kind of currency. You could have all the money in the world and you still wouldn't be let in certain circles, because you don't know anyone. It's not about how you earn the money—it's about what you do with it. And what I did was make it into that circle—that elite club of heirs and heiresses. It's not just a group, unattainable and far away anymore, it's my group.

My group doesn't like tech bros and Hollywood nouveau riche, I learn very early on. They're tacky. Besides, flaunting your wealth to commoners is overrated. It's other wealthy people that you really have to impress.

So on the first day, it's kind of a competition to see who can break dress code most without getting caught. Of course we have to wear the typical uniform, but there are some adjustments you can make. Nobody's going to care if you swap the blazer out for a sweater, so I wear a V-neck navy cashmere sweater; it's the same designer as the one I wore yesterday, only in a different cut. I also change out my shoes—you're meant to wear these uncomfortable Mary Janes, but nobody does. I wear white socks with plain white sneakers. There's no label or anything obviously designer about them, but they cost a ridiculous amount. I'm trying to make pearls my thing, so I wear matching pearl studs. My makeup is simple and subtle.

Right before I head out with Es to breakfast, I knock on the door of our third roommate's room. I know she's there because I came back from orientation to find the door locked and heard the shuffling of suitcases. We've spoken once. I asked her if she wanted to come with us to dinner. She responded with one word. "No."

This morning, she doesn't respond at all. I knock again. There's the sound of footsteps, just enough to let me know she's alive, but no response. I glance at Es, and promptly give up. So I don't know who my third roommate is or what kind of psychopath she is, but it's none of my business. I have my own matters.

"I'll introduce you to my friends," I say offhandedly as Es and I walk down the misty path to the dining hall. "They're not weird, promise. Well, one of them likes you, but not in a weird he-wants-to-marry-into-the-royal-family way, in a regular he-just-thinks-you're-hot way. And there's Manon Allard too—you know her?"

"I do know her. That's relieving to hear," Es says, cracking a sleepy smile.

We enter the dining hall through these grand double doors. Yesterday, convocation took place here. Honestly, I'm still not used to it. Walking into the dining hall is like walking into another time. Dazzling diamond chandeliers hang from the high arched ceiling, which is decorated by murals of angels and cherubs. Along one wall there's a wide array of counters and glass cases filled with various kinds of cuisines. Round oak tables and benches are scattered around.

Es makes a beeline for a section which has been devoted to coffee. She returns with a cup of espresso. I've gotten some bread. The food here is amazing, but I can't tolerate a full English breakfast, so I'll stick with just bread.

"Good morning," Seung-jun says, yawning like a cat and running a hand through his already-messy hair. "Oh, is this Esmeralda? I'm Tae Seung-jun. Don't talk to Cahyono, I want to see him suffer. Do they have coffee? Brilliant. Bye."

He's gone as soon as he's spotted the coffee. Es seems a little stunned. "Who's Cahyono?" she asks me.

"The guy who thinks you're hot."

Es giggles. "You were serious about that?"

"Yes!"

She looks taken aback at the fact that someone would find her attractive. Also a little pleased.

I hear footsteps coming up from behind us. "Valentina! And who is this lovely lady?" the familiar voice of Cahyono says, like he doesn't know exactly who Esmeralda is already.