9|| Safe Again

"Rise and shine, Crown Prince! Today is a very important day!" Caspian sang with a devilish glint in his eye.

"Go away. The sun's barely up and I'm tired."

"Now, that's a very defeatist attitude you've got there!" Caspian cheerfully yanked the covers off his brother with a beam. "Up and up! The early bird catches the worm!"

"Then I'll feast with the late one," Sebastian groaned, curling up into a foetal position and slamming the pillows over his head. He yawned. "We can laugh over... porridge... or whatever it is late birds eat."

"Unfortunately, that is not an option."

Sebastian's eyes widened and he covered his bare chest with his arms as he shot upright in his bed like an arrow had struck his behind. "Diya? What are you- I mean, why are you in my room?"

Diya stood with her stance firm and secure as if she would be prepared to tackle any obstacle flung her way. "You must awake, Sebastian. Today, we will be journeying to the Temple in order to witness the blessings the First Division- who have finally come back from Upnepur- shall be receiving."

"And your blessings as well." Sebastian pulled himself to the edge of his bed and put his feet inside warm slippers with a relaxed sigh.

Diya's eye twitched, but none of the boys noticed. For the past two weeks- since the rather terse Imperial family meal- she'd successfully managed to sabotage all events that could lead her to the Temple.

This included: breaking the wheels of the carriages, feigning carriage-sickness or general ill health, bribing (threatening) the coachmen to back out of getting them there, and even claiming the spirits had warned her to stay.

I was just buying time. She told herself with a resolute nod. Lucas-san has arrived now. He'll know what to do- he always does.

She'd also been forced to say a heavy farewell to her healer friend. Siriana had decided to temporarily shift to the countryside, believing the change of scenery would do Fred some good- who had remained silent ever since Coralia was sentenced and jailed for her crimes after it was revealed Fred was not her first victim. Diya promised to visit them, but knew that once she returned to the Demon Realm, she would never set foot into Cerean again.

Her hand drifted to the chain that hung around her neck and she toyed with the obsidian stone pendant. She'd been forced to keep it hidden for the last two years- and especially the last few weeks- in order to maintain her anonymity. But, after today, everyone would know who she was, so it would not matter.

"What about today, Reject?" Caspian side-eyed her with an impetuous snort. "Do the spirits bless our journey now?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

"How very convenient."

"Well, perhaps they sense my anticipation since my brother will be returning from the front lines today. I have been sick with worry the last two years, and I thank the heavens he has returned safely. I appreciate your understanding on this joyous occasion." Diya was tempted to bat her eyelashes, but felt that would be overkill. She settled for a deep bow with an exaggerated sweep of her arms.

"You look like an idiot." Caspian scoffed, but his attention was diverted to Sebastian appearing from behind the dressing screen. He nodded in approval. "And you look less idiotic than usual, which is a miracle in of itself."

"I look fantastic." Sebastian grinned and spread his arms.

Even Diya had to admit that he suited the purple army coat over the black loose shirt with gleaming gold medals across his left breast and brass buttons in the middle, paired with dark trousers and his sword hanging by the side in an elegant scabbard inscribed with the Imperial insignia. But she would rather cut out her own tongue than admit the Imperial uniform looked good on anyone.