10|| Greed

Diya should never have underestimated that sneaky bastard.

The rest of the ceremony proceeded without any more disturbance, which was a result of how eager the priests were to try and quell the chatter. All the First Division soldiers got blessed- except for the demonic ones, who stood in a tight huddle in the corner and surrounded Diya as if to form a protective barrier against the Imperials.

Diya couldn't hear anything over the loud throbbing in her ears and felt a slight twinge in her chest when she saw how betrayed Sebastian looked when she revealed her identity. She beat that feeling away with a stick, not enjoying how it twisted her heart and stomach into knots.

"You signed a contract?" Lucas had hissed, switching to the demonic tongue. "How could you be so idiotic? Did you learn nothing from Mother's blackmail lessons?"

"I just didn't think–"

"That's right, you didn't think." He ran a hand through his hair and tapped his foot on the ground. "I'll tell Mother and Father about this and they'll sort it out. For now, just... don't do anything stupid."

"Kremzin." Diya swore and crossed her arms. "I got rid of your other contract with the Elshers, didn't I?"

"Yes, but at what cost?"

She didn't have an answer to that.

Empress Aurelia then claimed that Diya should ride in the carriage with the Imperials, so that everyone could discuss things in a calm manner when they reached the palace. In reality, it was so that they couldn't whisk Diya away to the Demon Realm.

Lucas had to be physically held back by his soldiers as he attempted to charge at the Imperial Family with a fierce glower that Diya hadn't seen since their sister died.

As Diya had stepped into the carriage, a single thought hit her like a cannonball. What if that's the last time I ever see him?

"Would you stop looking at me like that?" Diya snapped, not breaking her gaze from the blurring scenery outside the window.

"Like what?" Sebastian grumbled.

"Like I just kicked your puppy."

"Oh I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt. That brother you mentioned earlier- was that General Lucas?"

"Perhaps. Also you're the one to talk- didn't you hide the fact that you were the Crown Prince as well? Surely that makes you a bigger liar than I."

"Reject!" Caspian admonished, his voice icier than the coldest winds of the north. "Do not talk to the Crown Prince in such a manner!"

Diya raised a brow. "I am a princess too, Second Prince. Technically, we are of equal status. In fact, now that I think about it, aren't I of higher status than you? I am the First Princess, and you're the Second Prince, so I think it's you who has to watch their tone."

"I refuse to respect traitors."

"Traitors?" Diya let out a harsh bark of laughter, gripping her black stone necklace. "All I did was hide my identity, and aren't you being a bit harsh on the girl who saved the Crown Prince's life multiple times?"

"Children, be quiet," Empress Aurelia ordered, massaging her temples with a frightening glare at her eldest son. "We will deal with this in a proper manner without hurling insults like a bunch of hooligans."

"I have a question, Your Highnesses." Diya turned to Emperor Carlos. "How long have you known who I am?"

"From the moment you defeated the assassin at Sebastian's birthday banquet." The Emperor flicked an imaginary piece of lint off his trousers with a satisfied grin. "I recognised your fighting style from the Great War. You were incredibly brave back then, especially considering your young age."