Prologue

The Trip Down Under

It was early in the morning when there was a knock on Darkness' door. He was just having breakfast with his wife, the Moon, and was not expecting anyone. A servant opened the door and bowed.

'Your Majesty, King Marius from the Mortal Realm has humbly requested an audience. He says it's quite urgent.'

'Marius, huh?' the Moon said. 'He's never requested an audience before, so I can't imagine what the matter is. Did he say anything?'

The servant shook his head. 'No, Your Radiance. He only said it was urgent.'

Darkness stood up and said, 'We'll see what he has to say, then.'

~+~

King Marius of the Kingdom of Dayon had indeed never requested an audience with the god Darkness, even though his people were very keen on asking the Deity for help. The Kingdom of Dayon was the most loyal to the Darkness and Moon, so Marius felt the most comfortable here. 

The doors to the Throne Room opened, and Marius bowed on one knee. In walked the King and Queen of the Realm of Darkness and sat down on their thrones. They appeared to be opposites; the King seemed permanently clouded in shadows, with dark eyes that had seen their share, while the Queen quite literally glowed. Her white robes helped to give her an otherworldly ethereal look and her eyes looked down on Marius with motherly kindness.

Yes, Marius thought, Her Radiance was definitely a fitting title. 

'Tell me, Marius, what is the matter that you come here unannounced to request an audience?' Darkness inquired.

'Forgive me, Your Highness, for my haste. My daughter was attacked last night. There have been increasingly more instances where assassins from our enemies were able to infiltrate our defenses. I am worried that soon, we will be too weak and my daughter will be seriously harmed.'

'Oh dear,' the Moon said. 'It is good then, that you came here.'

Marius blushed. The Moon could do that to anyone.

'I am not asking for an army; we are not yet in a position to go to war. But I humbly ask for your  support to guard my daughter.'

Darkness thought for a moment. 'I could lend you a guard, I suppose.'

But the Moon leaned over to whisper something in his ear. Darkness frowned. 'Hmm. I'm not sure if he'd want that.'

The Moon turned to Marius. 'Have you any requirements for this guard?'

'If possible, I would want him to be a skilled fighter, loyal and aware of our culture and customs. But of course, anyone that Your Majesties would be able to spare would be a welcome addition to my home.'

'I see. I think I know just who.' The Moon's eyes twinkled with naught. The King could hardly look away. She turned towards a servant.

'Jien, please go get Alastar. He is needed.'

Jien bowed and took his leave. The Moon turned back to Marius. 'For the protection of your daughter, Princess Isobel, we will sent our son, Alastar, with you. He is one of our finest warriors. After the threats have layed down, he will return here.'

Marius' eyes went wide. 'Your Radiance, that is too much! Your own son... How could I ever repay such a favor?'

She waved a hand. 'That is the least we could do for you and your people. You are always most loyal to us.'

Jien returned to the throne room, followed by who Marius presumed to be Alastar. He was tall, very tall, and build to not only exert force, but to be agile and fast. Even though Alastar looked like a warrior, he still had an aura of divinity and royalty around him. 

'What is so urgent, Mother?' Alastar asked the Moon. 

'Alastar, you will be sent to the Mortal Realm to protect King Marius' daughter, Princess Isobel. You will leave as soon as possible.'

His eyes went wide and said, 'What? What do you mean?'

Darkness looked at Marius. 'Could you leave us for a short while?'

Marius bowed and said, 'Yes, of course, Your Majesty.' Then he left the Throne Room. He did not even try to hear what they were saying; he knew that they did not let him hear anything they did not want him to hear. 

He leaned against the wall next to the doors and marveled at the beauty of their castle. Even though they lived in the realm of darkness, no luxury had been spared: not only was the castle large and imposing, the ceilings were high and the carpets were made out of velvet. Naturally, the halls were so dark they needed to be lit with torches. But instead of provoking an ominous feeling, they made the palace look almost... cozy.

While he was looking at the ceilings, where various myths concerning both the Realm of Light and the Realm of Darkness were displayed, the doors opened. Jien walked out and told Marius that he was to leave immediately and Alastar would go with him.

Marius bowed. 'Please give my immense thanks to Her Radiance and His Majesty.'

He went to the Main Hall and there Alastar was already waiting for him.

'I take it you are Alastar?' The King smiled at him. Alastar frowned and turned away. 

'Yes. Let's just go.'

The King cleared his throat. 'Right. I hope you will feel welcome and at home in my castle. You will of course live in the finest luxury, and my daughter is a lovely woman who will be great company, I'm sure. It will be good for her, to have someone to rely on.'

Alastar reared back in digust. 'Don't get your hopes up. Your brat and I will never be friends.'

The King was surprised by his rudeness, but nodded. 'Let us go then. I have a funeral to attent.'

~+~