Chapter V

The Tea Party

Today is the day I've been dreading. I tried to prepare myself as well as I could. I'm wearing my best dress, all of my most beautiful jewelry. My makeup is flawless. 'You look amazing,' I whisper to myself in the mirror.

I step into the hall, where Alastar is leaning against the wall. He looks me up and down, and frowns. 'You look ridiculous.'

Great. That's not helping me at all. 'Let's just go.' I want to get this over with.

'Wait, where are we going? I didn't have anything scheduled for us today.' 

Oh, right. Speaking of schedules, I forgot to ask my father to stop those awful training lessons. But that will have to wait. 

I stop walking and turn around. 'Mr Alastar, I must regrettably inform you that today, I am having tea with three of the most heinous, spiteful, and most unpleasant ladies of our Kingdom. You will have to be there, and well... You might actually deserve that.'

He sighs. 'If they dislike you, they probably have good reason. They're most likely sick of having to spend time with you.'

'Well, you all must have a lot in common then. A lot to talk about.' I continue walking. A servant told me that the three devils arrived this morning. Now we'll have tea and biscuits, which is the only good part of this entire meeting.

I enter the drawing room, where they are already seated at a table full of cakes and sweets.

Upon my entering, they stand up and curtsey. 'Your Highness, it is an honour to see you again,' Lady Rose says.

'Yes, it has certainly been a long time,' I answer with a forced smile.

'Your Highness is right,' Baroness Gretchen joins in. I mentally cover my ears. I had forgotten just how much I dislike the sound of her voice. 'The last time we tried to meet, you were unfortunately ill. And then before that, you had a travel you'd forgotten to tell us about.'

'And don't forget that time when she was too busy with her duties to see us,' Duchess Clara adds. 'Your Highness' life must be very time-consuming.'

When they list all the times I blew them off, I do feel bad, but I didn't blow them off for no reason.

Behind me, I hear a cough that sounds suspiciously close to a laugh. Of course, that horrid man finds my suffering enjoyable.

All six eyes focus on the man behind me. I hear him take a few steps forward until he's standing next to me. He bows for them. 'Each of your beauties could rival a goddess'. It is a pleasure to have the fortune of meeting such an enchanting group of noble women. My name is Alastar, and I was appointed as Princess Isobel's personal guard.'

All three of their mouths drop down to the floor. I sigh. This is getting old.

Clara is the first one to say something. She curtsies and tells him, 'My name is Clara. I am a good friend of Isobel. She is lucky to have such a... strong... and... kind man as her bodyguard.'

I snort. Good friend. Don't make me laugh.

The other two join in. 'Yes, we've been friends with Isobel for years now! We're practically sisters. We must get together more often!'

I've heard enough. I sit down. 'Mr Alastar, could I have some alone time with my... friends?'

He pouts. What a child! 'But it was finally getting interesting.'

Rose nods. 'I imagine that guarding Isobel must not be the most exciting thing in the world.' She turns to me. 'You should let him have his fun. Nobody likes uptight people.'