Chapter III

Getting Acquainted

I wake up when someone pounds on my door. I groan and sit up. My head is killing me. Turns put that crying until deep in the night is not great for your body.

The pounding is accompanied by a voice yelling. 'Your Highness! Wake up!'

I look behind my curtains. It's barely dawn. What could be so important? Then I realise that there might have happened something to my family, so I jump up. I pull open the door and I'm met with Alastar's fist.

'Ow!' I jump back and rub my nose.

His eyes go wide. 'You look terrible.'

I glare and point at my face. 'Duh. You just punched me.'

He rolls his eyes. 'I barely touched you. And that's not what I was talking about. You look like you had a rough night. Did you stay up late drinking?'

I sigh. 'No. I just couldn't sleep. But what's so important that you wake me up this early?'

He shoots me an evil grin. 'We're going to work out, you and me.'

What.

'Your father asked me to teach you self defense, so we're going to start by running laps. I've got a whole schedule. Look.' He pulls something out of his pocket to show me. But I interrupt him. 

'Hold up. What?'

He rolls his eyes. 'I get that you're pretty dense, but I think I formulated my sentence quite clearly.'

I never thought my father would do something like that. 'My father asked you to train me?'

He smiles crookedly again. 'Yes. Now go get dressed.'

I remember I'm only wearing my nightgown, so I quickly turn sideways and cover myself. 'Don't look!' Then I slam the door in his face.

Through the door he yells, 'Wear something you can run in!'

While I'm picking out a dress that is loose enough to run in, I mentally curse my father. He's never expressed interest in me doing self defence before. And why would he not tell me himself? I doubt it's my mother's idea; he's probably not even told her. I can't even imagine her face when she'd hear that. And that I have to train with Alastar, of all people!

I've finally found a dress. It's a bit out of style, since the skirts now are a bit smaller in silouette, but it'll have to do. I put it on and go out to face my doom.

~+~

Alastar made me run laps around the garden, while he sat on a bench, reading a book. After my fifth lap, I collapse. I lay on my back with my eyes closed and pant. This dress was heavier than I thought. Now I remember why I was glad that it went out of style. 

Even though there is still not much sunlight, I feel a shadow fall over me. I crack one eye open, and see Alastar leaning over me. He raises an eyebrow and I just press my hands over my eyes. 'No more. No more, please.'

'Is this seriously the best you can do? That's really sad.'

I groan in frustration. 'I've never had to do something like that. But I feel warmed up now. So let's get it over with.' I stand up, but way too fast. My vision goes white and I almost fall down again. In order not to, I grab the nearest thing to me to steady myself. Which happens to be Alastar.

I look up, expecting to see a smirk or something, but he just looks surprised. He clears his throat and says, 'You should drink some water, or you'll get a headache. I brought some, it's on the bench.' He walks of to get it. Strange. He probably didn't like me touching him.