CHAPTER 3

EMIR

EMIR

Sam left class early to meet with his brother about something. Despite Penny's constant neck breaking to give me dirty glares, he made my first lesson here enjoyable. But I feel like that'd be weird to say to him out loud so I thought I'd buy him and his brother lunch.

As soon as the bell rings, everyone in the class is off their seats and out of the door in the matter of what seems like seconds.

I take an unintentional deep breath as I get to my feet and pack my bag. I don't have to look up to know that Mr Rujerrio is approaching me right now.

"how'd you like your first Australian highschool class, Emir?" He asks, pinning his reading glasses on the collar of his stripped sweater.

I throw my bag over my shoulder, hanging the strap on my shoulder. "decent. Thanks" I respond with a nod, his brow twitches up and I wait for him to lecture me about being blunt and rude in my tone, like all my teachers did.

"not a fan of small talk hey? Gotta be honest. I'm relieved." he sighs, making way back to his desk. I lift my chin, well that's a first. He packs and grabs his mini suitcase. I can't help but find it funny when I see teachers drag a small suitcase full of all their educational crap behind them. They always have either a look of pride or defeat on their face.

"I just wanted to make sure that what Penny said didn't bother you too much. What she said- that was not on." He sympathises. I don't know what the phrase 'that was not on' means, or what exactly it's on- but judging by his firm tone and disappointment shake of the head when he said it, I assume it means 'it wasn't right'.

"preciate it. uh..." I rub the back of my neck and pull off my hoodie, attempting to show my respect for Mr Rujerrio who is talk as fuck. And I'm already tall as fuck myself.

"... thank you. For... you know-" my words trail off. i'm so bad at this. Am I that much of a piece of shit that I can't even express gratitude to a decent person?

Mr Rujerrios lip curls to a slanted smirk and he pats my shoulder twice, firmly and almost fatherly. "yeah yeah. don't get sappy on the first day", and he leaves the room... rolling his child size suitcase behind him.

I chuckle to myself quietly, clearly I find stupid shit funny.

I make my way out of the small four wall classroom, a gush of wind immediately hits my face and I pull my hood back up over my head and beanie.

The trees shake harshly with the wind, and fog hides the sky and everything ahead. At least the rain has stopped.

students of all sizes and colours crowd the space between these four portable classrooms, I guess to get to their lockers. All these kids look different yet the same in their uniforms. Uniforms weren't common in schools back home, we had a dress code but that wasn't much of an issue for majority us who wore baggy grunge clothes that the teachers said made us look homeless.