CHAPTER 5

EMIR

EMIR

Elissa is pushing her palms into my chest, waiting for me to get out of bed. But I just keep complaining and groaning for her to stop.

She stayed in my room waiting for our stepdad to be done using me as a punching bag and whatever else he managed. Lucky for me she had already fallen asleep by the time I was sent away.

I had stepped in slow and steady, making sure the only sounds she could hear were the ruffling of the curtains against the wind blowing through the open window. I didn't want to try shutting it and risk waking her up.

When i washed off the blood from my face and arms, I approached the bed and seen Elisa sleeping deeply with glistening streams running down her face. And I realised she had cried herself to sleep.

It kills me that I can't do more for my baby sister. I've got to find work here sooner rather than later to add to my secret savings. Then i can get her out of here already.

"Emir come on you've got to get up for school!" She whisper shouts, her bushy hair tickles my face and i fan it away.

"I don't wanna go today. don't you want me to stay with you?" I frown, she slaps my chest. "You're lucky you get to go to school" she says, and I look to her quietly, seeing the actual sadness and envy on her face.

Guilt. That's what sets in my chest. I forget the education is a privilege more than anything, that's something our mom always taught us. And as she huffs with crossed brows, I'm glad to see that our mother continues to live through Elisa.

"okay fine. i'm going." I roll off the bed with a stretching groan, I hear a giggle and it's enough fuel to get me to my feet.

I quickly throw on a hoodie over my tank top and pull on the same pair of black sweats i had on yesterday. As i check myself in my wardrobe mirror, I catch Elisa looking outside in the reflection. Her eyes somewhat lost, and weak, and i feel a pitiful feeling in my chest.

"i'll make sure you get to go to school again" Is what i say, and she quickly darts her eyes go the mirror, looking at me in the reflection with hopeful eyes and a bright smile. "really!?" she beams.

I manage a small smile "yeah". She hops off my bed and hurries to me, her head rolls back to look up at me, and she takes my hand with both of hers "you promise?".

Her big brown eyes appeal to mine, so much desperation and hope, and i try not to let my smile fade too much.

I take a deep breath and crouch infront of my little sister, and I hold out my pinky. She smiles once again, so much so that her eyes squint into tiny slits as she grabs it with a whole fist. I laugh, and she practically throws herself into my chest.

My smile fades, thinking about the risk of false hope i just installed into her. The reality is, it's hard. It's not easy to do on my own, i have no idea where to start, and even if i did manage to get her enrolled, I can't afford a uniform, or school supplies or lunches everyday.