𝟒

ELSIE

"The lunch box better be empty after school, okay?" I smiled at Ian and he giggled after he lifted his head to look at me.

"I put a little surprise in there." I leaned close to his ear and whispered. "There are strawberries inside." He covered his mouth and his big round eyes widened.

"Really?" His voice was a whisper as well.

"Mhmm." Tiny hands circle around my waist and he buried his head in my stomach.

"You are the best Eli." I ruffled his hair and crouched down. I fixed his jacket and pushed the wavy strands away from his forehead. His brown eyes shone with happiness and my heart skipped a beat.

I loved him like my own child. I can't even imagine how my life would have been without him.

It was like yesterday when Sally called me. We weren't really in good terms at that time. We still aren't. It was strange for me to receive her call, especially that late in the night.

She said that, her and Ian were going to visit me. Gladly, I welcomed in my home. Ian was such a tiny little boy at that time. Sally stayed for a while, I cooked them a meal and she asked me about my work.

The sadness in her eyes told me everything I needed to know. She was not okay and it tore me apart. The drugs have even changed her looks. She was skinnier and her face looked sunken.

I have tried everything to help her. There was guilt eating me up every time I remembered her. She is my little sister and I can't help her in any way.

I even tried to save up money for her rehabilitation but Sally gave all of the savings for drugs.

"That's Macy." Ian jumped up and down and waved at a girl his age. That must be his crush. The girl was exactly like he described her. Long hair done in box braids and an adorable smile. Her front tooth was also missing and she waved back.

There was lady next to her which I assume was her mom. They looked identical.

"Hi, Ian." The little girl hurried to us and a big grin formed on her face.

"Hello, I'm Helena. And this must be the Ian." Her mom spoke when she caught up to her and extended her hand to me.

"Elsie. Nice to meet you." We shook hands and I saw Ian's cheek blush as he stared at Macy.

"Nice to meet you as well. Macy always talks about Ian." She ran her hand over Macy's hair.

Helena had beautiful green eyes that matched the dress she was wearing. It was down to her knees and had long sleeves. Her hair was in a bun and two strands were falling down her forehead, framing her face.

"Now that we met, we would love to invite Ian to Macy's birthday next week. If that's okay with you." She said and Ian looked up at me with eyes filled with hope. He has never been invited to a birthday before and I was always worried of him not making friends.

I didn't want him to be all alone at school. He had a bubbly personality and was very smart and deserved to have good friends who loved him.

"Of course I'll bring him." Ian clasped his hands together and hugged me again.

"If you can give me your number, I'll send you the address. There won't be many people only her cousins and few classmates." I quickly dug into my purse and took out my phone. I gave her my number and she politely smiled back at me before we parted ways.