(21) Whispers in the Night

The day unfolded normally with her tutor arriving to meticulously prepare her for the upcoming first day of class.

Later, in the quiet hours, she devoted herself to the enchanting melodies of the violin, creating a soothing rhythm that echoed through the rooms.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

She dozed off, but once more, a knock stirred her from her sleep. Opening the door, she found Walker standing there.

Again.

"Your father wants to see you in his office."

He left quickly, leaving her wondering.

She walked toward his office, her steps uncertain, a sense of foreboding lingering. Was it going to happen again?

Can this nightmare end already?

Tentatively, she pushed the door open, finding her father in the office. However, a cup with purple liquid remained, placed prominently on his desk.

"Close the door, Lumi," he instructed.

She hesitated for a moment but eventually complied.

As she turned back, her eyes were drawn to the ominous cup resting on the table.

"What's in the cup?" Lumi inquired, a hint of apprehension in her voice.

Coriolanus held up the cup, a sinister glint in his eyes. "It's a bit of poison," he declared, his tone cold and calculating.

Lumi's face turned pale, and she could only manage a shaky "What?" as the weight of the revelation sank in.

"It's for your survival"

"No!" She stumbles backward until her back meets the door.

"Why would I need to drink poison for my survival? It was agonizing. I felt like I was on the verge of death!"

He places the cup back on the table and starts walking towards her with open hands and a sympathetic expression.

"You have to understand, now that you're officially my daughter, my enemies may try to hurt you. If they ever attempt poisoning, you'll build an immunity. There might be some side effects, but it ensures you won't die."

Lumi's eyes widened in disbelief. "Immunity? Side effects? Father, this is... this is too much. I can't just drink poison willingly. What if something goes wrong?"

He sighed, embracing his daughter tightly, a silent reassurance in the midst of an unsettling revelation.

"Lumi, it's a necessary precaution. You need to be prepared for the world we live in. Trust me, it's for your safety."

Lumi hesitated, fear and uncertainty clouding her thoughts. After a deep breath, she reluctantly nodded. "Fine, I'll do it. But promise me, that you'll always keep me safe."

Coriolanus gently placed a hand on her shoulder, a conflicted expression on his face.

"I promise, Lumi. This is for your protection. Now, before I explain more, you must promise me that your mother can never know about this."

"I-I promise," Lumi replied hesitantly, her mind swirling with uncertainty.

"This could also help you become stronger, more powerful. If you ever need to get rid of someone, you slip some in their drink and some in yours. You'll both cough blood, but only one meets their end," he said, his expression unreadable to Lumi. He looked so different, she couldn't recognize him.