6

S A N D Y

"Come again?"

Did this fool just say what I heard him say?

Anthony stood from the desk and approached me. He took the glass from my hand and dropped it on the desk before cupping my cheeks. He had a huge smile on his face while I was stuck in confusion.

"Yes, you. You're the only person suitable for this. You are my best friend. Someone who I confide in, someone who I trust and respect. You're the only person who knows me for me and understands how important this is for me."

I flushed from his words but due to the severity of his choice, I had to focus on what he was trying to say to me.

"Sandy, we can get married and still act the way we do. The only difference is that we will live under the same roof and act like married people in public. It'll be so easy in the aspect that we'll just continue our friendship with us wearing rings. We can remain the way we are without any thoughts of anything expected of any of us."

I swallowed hard and held his hands. His eyes danced around my face as he waited for my response. Right now, he wasn't even thinking straight.

"Have you forgotten the other part of this?"

Anthony frowned. "What part?"

"Having a child," I deadpanned and he moved away.

"When we get to that bridge, we'll know how to cross it. But for now, you have to do this for me. This won't be so hard for us and—"

"Did you just say that it won't be so hard?"

Even though I had feelings for Anthony, I knew somehow that I would eventually not be with him as someone I want to spend the rest of my life with.

"What is it?" He asked.

"Marriage is a huge thing. No matter how unserious it may be. It is something that is like a huge burden. Fake or not, it will impact a lot of things that have to do with us."

I paused to catch my breath. I rubbed my temple to relieve the incoming headache that would most likely affect me throughout the day before exhaling and dropping my hands.

"All my life, I dreamt of having the perfect wedding and getting married to someone that loves me. I want a wedding that'll make me feel like the happiest girl in the world. A wedding like those in the fairytales."

"And I'm ready to do that for you. If you want to get married in the most beautiful way possible, I'll do that for you. If you want to get married in the most expensive way ever, I'll do that for you. If you even want to get married on another planet, I'll do that. Just please, save me by marrying me and I promise I'll make you happy until the day we divorce."

It wasn't as easy as he put it. This was my best friend, someone I was already in love with. The marriage would not bring forth anything that would make me happy as Anthony knew nothing of my feelings for him. I also noticed how he skipped the part where I said I wanted to marry someone that'll love me. He didn't say; if he wanted him to love me, he would.

"Besides, people and even my parents think that we are more than best friends. People assume that we have something going on because of how close we are and how we act around each other. It won't be too hard for them to believe that this is real and not some sham."

"Anthony, it's still difficult for me right now. I need time to think," I said and he sighed.

"Can you just use tonight to think about this? My parents want an immediate response. I know this is hard for you but remember that it's me," he said and cupped my cheeks. "It's me you're going to spend some years with. I mean, we've been together for years, we only need an extramarital year."

"What even is my gain from all these?"

"Well, if you want me to pay you every month, I'll do it."

I smiled. "Maybe that can quicken my choices."

Anthony chuckled. "Good girl. Now, go on."

I smacked his chest and stepped away from him. I cleared my throat and pointed at his desk.

"Those are your schedules for the day. You have a lot of meetings and you're late as it is."

Anthony nodded. "Thank you."

I smiled and made my way to the door. Anthony called out to me and I turned around.

"Yes?" I answered.

"Please come back with a positive response. I need to save my family's bloodline."

I said nothing and left the office. Once I shut the door, I placed my hand on my thumping chest and closed my eyes.

Π•Π

As soon as I got home, I dumped my bag and went straight to the living room where Regina was watching TV. She turned her head to look at me as I sat beside her.

"How was work?"

"Started work as a single woman and it seems as if I'll be ending it as a married one."

"Excuse me?" Regina said and turned off the television. She turned around on the leather couch to look at me directly. "What do you mean by married? Have you been dating someone, and I didn't know about it?"

I sighed. "No, Gina. I am getting married to Anthony Hogan."

"Are you joking?"

"I'm not. His parents are sick and tired of his way of life and want him to prove that he's changed by getting married and having a child."

"A child too! Oh, my fucking God!"

"I don't know what to do."

"Doesn't he have famous women to marry?"

"I suggested it to him, and he declined. Gina, this makes me feel weird. I like Anthony and this should be making me happy but knowing that being married to him means a loveless marriage means awful things to me. My parents were in a loveless marriage which led to toxicity because my mom's parents forced my dad to marry her after he got her pregnant. Now, under a different circumstance, the same thing is happening. I'll be bearing Anthony's name and wearing his ring."

Regina placed her hand on my lap and squeezed in comfort. I bowed my head and stared at my hands, outlining the shapes of my nails to distract my line of thoughts.

"If you won't feel comfortable with this and if you feel it'll cause you heartbreak, reject the offer and look for ways to find the perfect woman for him. This marriage comes with a child and it's not going to be an easy journey for you."

I mulled over what she said and nodded my head. I had to take my time to think this through. One wrong decision would affect me and my relationship with Anthony.

Π•Π

Early the next morning, I got ready to leave for work. I already had my decision in my head after a night of thinking. Before leaving for work, I stopped in the kitchen and dialed Anthony's number. He answered on the first ring and my heart sunk in my guts.

"Hey, Sandy. Good morning."

"Good morning."

I bit my lip and sighed. "An—"

"Sandy... My parents just called, and they said that if I don't give them an answer by the end of today, they will start the papers for their person of choice to take over before the end of the year. I'm scared, Sandy. A lot will change, and I understand if you don't want this but—"

"Anthony, will you marry me?"