7

I couldn't believe I was doing this. I couldn't blame myself though because I just wanted to do this since I didn't have anything exciting in my life or the nearest future. At least, I was going to waste a few years married to my best friend. It wasn't like there would be any difference anyway.

As I heard the elevator ding, signifying that it reached my stop, I pushed my body off the cold wall of the elevator and watched the doors slide open. I walked out and started making my way to the hallway on the other end of the hall.

I stopped walking when I saw Anthony come out of the glass doors of the entrance to the hallway with a smile on his face. He never smiled so cheerily at work unless he just signed one of his huge deals. I continued to walk in his direction and froze when he cupped my cheeks and kissed them. He pulled me into his arms, leaving my arms stiff on my sides and my mouth open from shock.

"What are you doing?" I whispered and his chest rumbled from him chuckling. My eyes scanned the vicinity. There was some staff walking around, looking at us.

"Hugging my girlfriend," he replied, and I tried to move out of his arms.

People knew we were close friends, but we were never this physical with each other at work. I was so confused about what this man was doing.

He leaned toward my ear, and I gulped, feeling the heat of his breath against my ear, which made my heartbeat rise.

"You know that we will have to do this more when the truth comes out."

With the weight of the eyes on us, I moved out of his arms and grabbed his wrists then dragged him with me into the interior part of the building. We walked through the hallway, with more staff staring at us in shock. Gossip traveled fast around, and I was sure their group chats were buzzing from what Anthony had done.

Once we reached his office door, I pushed it open and dragged him inside with me. I closed the door and crossed my arms.

"What the hell was that, Anthony? Are you crazy? You cannot just walk up to me and hug me."

Anthony only smiled as he got closer to me. He stopped before me in his towering height and placed his hands on my shoulders.

"You have no idea how your answer made me feel. I barely slept last night because I was thinking you'd say no and I had to think of other options."

"That doesn't mean you can hug me in public like that."

Anthony kissed his teeth. "We will be doing more than just hugging in public."

My heart skipped a beat and my eyes fluttered. I was speechless for some seconds before I gained control of my brain and tongue.

"What do you mean?" I knew what he meant but I didn't know this was how it was going to be.

"You see... We need to meet my parents for dinner today. I need us to tell them that we are dating. Secondly, the paparazzi will soon hear about us and will want the latest news on me being off the market. They'd want to know why we're in love or whatever. There's a lot involved and that's why I'm so happy you accepted this."

I was already feeling congested from all the work that would come with me playing with my heart in this game of pretense. It was going to be easy acting like I loved him but knowing it wasn't going to be real was going to be exhausting.

"So... Your parents."

Anthony grinned.

Π•Π

I was shaking on the inside. No matter how much Anthony's parents knew about me, I was still intimidated around them. They were people of high class and caliber. So, it was going to be hard lying to their faces. I was going to be in serious trouble by the time they find out that all of this was a lie for their son to look responsible. Even the idea of us being together was irresponsible but there was nothing I could do. I was just helping my friend.

"Are you ready?" Anthony asked.

"No."

"I'm here with you, okay?"

I took that as a means of reassurance and after five seconds, we proceeded into the five-star restaurant. The place was glistening with wealth and the boring rich people's music filled the solemn air. As we got close to the table, I smiled and nodded at the old couple sitting at a table, wearing expensive outfits.

"Sandra, my dear. Welcome. Come sit. Come sit," Eudora, Anthony's mother said while motioning at the seat beside her.

She was a woman in her late fifties, with dark dyed hair that brushed her shoulders. Anyone would look at her and think she was still in her thirties as this woman was fashionable and beautiful. Her features were smooth and without wrinkles. She was also kind and nice to me but stoic to others.

I sat down and smiled at Franklin, Anthony's father. The man barely spoke and was strict. He was older than Eudora with five years and had grey hair that was almost shedding. His almost balding head always tried to make me laugh but whenever I see his harsh eyes and frowny lips, I stop myself.

"How are you two doing?" I asked and Eudora giggled.

"We aren't here for that. What is this I hear about you two?" Franklin cut off in a stern tone and hard face.

I gulped and looked at Anthony for help. He placed his hand on my thigh and squeezed before leaning forward.

"Mom, dad. This is my... Sandy is my girlfriend."

The table was quiet for a while before Eudora squealed.

"Finally! I have been waiting for the day you two realize that there's tension between the both of you."

"Ten?—"

I stepped on Anthony's shoe and sent him a glare. He had a clueless look on his face as expected of someone who didn't return my feelings.

"Tell me, dear. When did you two start dating?"

Here begins the journey of lies that will begin and almost ruin my future.