Chapter 5

Wendy knocked on the door and curtseyed when he opened it. Edgar didn't hide his suspicion and asked "What do you want?"

"Your highness, I am the assistant of the library, I brought the books you asked for."

His frown ceased a little seeing the bunch of books in her hand and took it from her. She gave a sweet smile but Edgar was not completely taken by it. Instead he asked rudely "Anything more to say?"

"Oh no, I am sorry to disturb your highness," Wendy said feeling slightly disappointed and withdrew back to the corridor feeling something amiss. She wondered why the CP was being harsh on her. He always talked rudely to her even though she tried to be polite yet he was after all as a Prince, such arrogance couldn't probably be helped.

Edgar went to his desk and thought about the Lady Roster's attitude towards him. He wondered how a girl could treat him like that when he was the popular charming Crown Prince of Waze.

Feeling grumpy he turned the pages of the book in his hand absently when a small tapping sound was heard rhythmically from his window. Then the dark figure crept up to him and bowed.

"What have you found, Lance?"

"I have found out that his majesty intends to find the Zolam diamond to give as the token to the envoy from Farads."

"Father sure is generous. So he wants to find the Zolam diamond using Derek? If I do it this means I get the next inheritance."

"I heard the Zolam diamond is in the Bleak Mountains, your highness it is a place of death. No one so far has come out alive."
Edgar's eyes sparkled with interest. He gave a side smile "Really, I want to see how Derek plans to get it then? If he doesn't get it, I could easily get a fake if he does get it then..." He flicked his fingers and laughed. The figure slowly withdrew and Edgar continued to laugh.

                                                                                            —-------------—--
Pam was looking quite beautiful in her lavender dress. A large purple amethyst pendant glowed from her necklace. I smiled and waved to her as she came to me giving a cursory glance at Countess Tori who was busy talking with another wealthy woman.

"Not as grand as I expected," she whispered and I nodded. There was something wrong with the party. Countess Tori was famed for her grand luxurious parties with expensive decorations and food.
She took pride in it. But this time the decorations were off. A few cheap silks draped the chandeliers and some cheap white flower bunches were stuck on every door quite deranged.

Countess Tori seemed blind to everyone's surprise and distasteful glances at the decos. Then suddenly, she caught sight of me.
"Oh my dear Edith, you are here," a strongly smelling perfume hit my nostrils inducing a headache as she gave me an unwarned hug.

I gave a weak smile "Countess Tori, nice to meet you."

"No, no it's aunt Tori for you. Your mother didn't come with you?"

"She is not feeling well. Doctor Canes told her not to go outside today."
"Oh dear, how disappointing. I was looking forward to see her."

"Your mother didn't come? Even after causing such a problem." Count Tori came behind me and his tone and stare were hostile.
The countess shushed him "Now, now I told you she didn't mean it."

"What are you talking about Count Tori?" I asked interrupting the countess. And he gave a stern glance and continued "Are you saying you don't know? Look at the decorations today. Only if the Countess hadn't asked your mother to handle the decorations this time how could it have turned this way? Even the tulips ordered had withered and we had to make do with some cheap flowers."

I felt a tremble in my hands. I knew my mother wouldn't have accepted to do decorations for the Countess's party. But she wasn't here to prove it. I didn't have any proof either and the Count was fully fixated on the idea.
Pamela came near me and held my hand. "Count Tori, I am afraid you have made a mistake."

"Mistake?" he repeated sardonically and Pam continued "Yes a mistake, Lady Whittling could hardly have accepted to do decorations for this party. And there was a good reason for that."

"What do you mean by that?"
He asked and I also curiously looked at Pam who kept on looking straight at him "Lady Whittling was tending to my sick mother at the time. She had been taking care of her for the past month. Of course my father did not allow for the news to get out till my mother was better so it is not a surprise you don't know but she couldn't have accepted such a task as she was out of the city at that time."

Countess Tori gasped and then with an effort she managed to pacify her husband" Oh my dear, my memory must be fading. I made a mistake. Indeed it could not have been Gloria, she isn't the type to make a mess of things." I couldn't help noticing her glare at Pam.
Count Tori looked visibly guilty and readily apologized to me.
I accepted it and he basically took a strong hold of the Countess's arm and took her to his study while ordering the servants to take care of the guests.

"Thanks Pam, I wouldn't know what I would have done."
She smiled "Hmmm, I think someone will have to promise me to bake my favourite cake."
I smiled and squeezed her hand "Don't worry I definitely will.".

Her silver hair flew upwards to the wind as she danced with Cory occasionally giving me a cold glance, hinting she was going to expect answers from me. After a while from the incident with the Countess, I could only stare helplessly at the entrance of Derek and Cory, who were quite welcomed by the Count. Derek was wearing a well-tailored black suit with a hint of red lines at the edges and Corey wore a black and grey suit. They were both looking their best and as much as I wanted to stay hidden in the crowd he managed to walk towards me with a smile.

"So you were here my lady, I am really glad to see you," his eyes were piercing my head which I had lowered in order to avoid his gaze. An array of whispers and stares of many of the men and women also surrounded me. But he didn't seem to mind and before I could introduce Pam to him, Corey extended a hand to her and invited her to a dance while she had absently accepted. Seeing my close acquaintance to the two, I knew she must be wondering why Derek was still standing next to me and talking. The main thing I was thankful for, was he didn't lead me to a dance so I resolved to continue the chatting.

"Lady Edith, it seems Lady Roster was the one who was having plans with you."

"Well...yes...my cousin came to visit me at my request."

"How are your parents?"

"Quite fine, my mother was slightly under the weather this morning but the doctor examined her and told us not to worry."

"Would you mind if paid a visit to Lady Whittling to inquire about her health?"

"What about school?"

He gave a side smile showing his rare cheeky handsomeness "I could easily avoid it."

I frowned "I don't think you should. My mother is quite fine and though she will appreciate the gesture, I don't think you should cut school so much. You are quite a bright student. "

He turned to me with a serious expression with a sort of gloom inciting some sympathy in my heart. "My lady, you've become quite serious. Would you be that upset of my action?"

"I- I mean-"

He didn't let me finish instead he seemed to notice something behind me and quickly gave my hand a kiss and rushed outside. He forgot to even bid me farewell and Corey too had stopped dancing and was now following his friend. I wondered if Derek was angry or upset with me but my thoughts had to wait as dinner was being served and then in a weary state I was accompanied by a questioning Pam to my school just as the large iron gates were being locked.