027 - 𝐬𝐨𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞

BLOOD BORN • CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
⋆𖤐₊˚.༄ 027. soccer game.

— in which the wolves have a beach day

𝐀𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐀 𝐖𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐅𝐅 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐀 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐄𝐃𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐃 𝐎𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐘 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐑 𝐇𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐘𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐍, she raced back to Emily's house, eager to see Embry once again. As she narrowed the distance between herself and the front door of Emily's house she paused, her heart pounding. She felt weird. She stopped and pressed her back against a nearby tree, taking a deep breath to calm down her nerves. She couldn't explain why she felt so nervous like this when she wanted to see Embry so badly.

"What are you doing outside?" A voice spoke from behind the tree, coming closer.

Valera knew instantly by the voice that it was Embry Call. "I was just about to come inside."

Embry nodded, looking down to the ground whilst he leaned over the tree.

"Why didn't you tell me you were going to be gone for five weeks?" Valera asked, looking straight to him even though his shoes seemed more interesting to him.

Embry took a few moments before answering, "I didn't think it would take that long."

Valera furrowed her eyebrows, wondering why he was acting this way. He pulled her into him, giving her a hug. "I thought about you every single day."

Valera hugged him tighter, her heels making her tall enough to wrap her arms around his neck without standing on her tippy toes. She never wanted to let go, but they eventually did.

"Emily has dinner ready for us inside." He spoke softly, taking a step back so she could walk passed him and inside the hut.

Embry pressed his lips, watching as the girl he loves make her way to Emily's kitchen. He was backing away from Valera, not because he didn't love her but because in those five weeks he learned a lot about everything. He knew the possibilities of Bella being killed and he wasn't sure how Valera would take it. He also thought that if there was ever a time when he, himself, was killed that Valera was way too close to him for herself to cope. Especially as he is the last person she had left. To him, it sounded reasonable. But if only Valera knew, or even Sam - they'd both tell him how ridiculous it really was and how much tension the two of them would have between one another in the future.

The next morning, Valera came into the kitchen with a slight hobble to find Sam and Embry talking. Sam looked straight to the girl then to Embry before walking off. Valera was beginning to expect the worst. She was piecing together the signs of his disappearance, brushing it off and then again when he took a long time to join her for dinner the night before. Maybe he wasn't happy because of her. Maybe he was asking Sam if the imprinting was wrong. Maybe...