十九 under fire (part two)

(warning - violence, sexual and other heavy topics)

It was always so strange to you.

You had seen so many people you cared for die before you.

Fought so many people in battle.

Witnessed such destructive, horrible things.

You figured by now you'd be numb to all of those things.

Or maybe it would've gotten just a little easier to see, and experience.

But here you were standing in front of a lifeless body, of a man you had met roughly 20 days ago.

A man who was a part of the crew that had originally held you as a prisoner.

A crew that around 20 days ago, you didn't care if they lived or died.

Yet here you were, feeling your body and mind utterly overwhelmed. A burning pain in your chest as you stood completely frozen. Numb to all of the blood and physical wounds covering your own body, because of the shock of emotional pain.

Because as much as you hated to admit it, you cared for every single one of them.

You owed it to them, all of them, to try to protect them.

To fight for them.

In that moment, your purpose was simply that and nothing else.

You didn't have tears streaming from your face, but your body quivered slightly as your gaze slowly peeled away from Riku's body, and back toward the dark haired devil fruit user.

Your gleaming red eyes locked onto the man, wind violently whipping your long hair, as you stood before the giant man.

A grin spread across his lips as laughs bellowed from his chest.

His voice was deep, rough,

"Mmmm... what a nice surprise!"

God dammit he knows me.

He rose his hand up pointing it at you,

"You're alive, and worth a lot of money, pretty girl. Good thing my shot didn't kill you."

Your mind had tuned out the howling wind, shouts, and clattering of fights.

Your eyes narrowed slightly, locking on the man, scanning him, searching for a weak point.

You weren't familiar with his fruit. You didn't know who he was or what he wanted.

Or what he knew about you.

I don't know what he's capable of.

You weighed your options.

Although you couldn't feel your injuries from the adrenaline and rage that pumped through you, you could taste the blood in your mouth, as it ran down your chin. The cuts across your legs. The blood soaking in your clothing, dripping off your body. Your wings, completely torn up, unsure if you were even capable of taking off if you needed to.

I don't have time to think.

In a split second, you lunged at him, your hand moving in a slashing motion, leaving a dash of light in the air in front of you before it disintegrated.

And then it was a blur.

You heard the man shout in pain, as the deep wound was inflicted on his chest.

But then you felt yourself choking for breath as your eyes flickered open.

You could feel your body dangling, finger tips desperately clawing at his giant hand that had a tight hold on your neck. His eyes boring into yours, full of anger as you saw the blood soaking through his jacket.