Those who can see them [2]

Ayanokouji's POV

Do you believe in ghosts? or things that go bump in the dark?

The souls of the dead which linger upon their departure, an anomaly, restrained on the mortal plane whether it be due to regret or unfulfilled goals. A spectral entity that floats about in every corner of our world, watching and observing.

I've always wondered what there is to find after death. I myself have not reached a conclusion, whether it be nothingness or the afterlife, I have not decided which to believe in yet.

Although, the thing in front of me seems to be the answer to it.

My instincts blared, my eyes slightly hardened, I could feel it. The emotion embedded within humanity's DNA, something far surpassing the 15 years of my life.
It was something...primal.

The feeling of danger coursed through my veins, it pulsed through every fiber in my body, forcibly trying to activate my fight-or-flight response. The stench of death assaulting my nostrils like a cologne spilled onto me.

The screams filled my once-silent room, dripping in both malice and madness, my ears strained as my eardrums threatened to rupture. Thump. Thump. Thump.

It swirled around me yet never coming in contact, akin to standing at the eye of a storm, dread lingered upon the vicinity accompanied by an ominous dark cloud, the feeling of numerous insects crawled underneath my skin, wiggling and burrowing within my body, digging deeper and deeper, I desperately fought the urge to rip my own skin off.

Distracting myself, I focused all my attention at the so-called storm, their disfigured faces morphed in anger and hate, their eyes nowhere to be seen, only hollowed sockets remained and yet I felt their loathing gazes upon me. Ill-intent oozing like pus out of a festering wound.

My thinking accelerated, scavenging through my memories. Unfortunately, I found no recollection of any useful knowledge that could help me in my current dilemma, a complete dead end. Will this be the cause of my end perhaps? I lamented my helplessness, like a dying man on his death bed waiting for his eventual demise.

How regrettable for I still have my own goals that I wish to achieve.

hmm?

My left eyebrow raised as the feeling of confusion plagued me, I doubt that the passage of time has stopped even with the strange phenomenon occuring before my eyes, a question popped up in timely manner.

Why have they not attacked me?

Remaining still as a stone, I began formulating theories with the newly found data, the sound of anguished screeches fading into the background as my mind began to focus at the task at hand.

More than 10 seconds have passed since their rude and abrupt appearance accompanied by the overly dramatic play within my head to match the theme.With the evident hatred aimed at me, I'm certain that they would've tried to rip my limbs apart as soon as they saw me, and yet they did not.

What was stopping them? From what I've read, there are cases in fables where the supernatural needs consent or recognition to interact with mortals, such as vampires needing permission to enter a home.

In my situation, I'm fairly certain that it was because I have yet to acknowledge their existence in any way, whether it be a physical reaction or a verbal response.

Keeping that thought in mind, I slowly raised my arms forward, seemingly trying to stretch my rigid body. As the distance between my skin and the storm shortened, it began to change course in accordance to my action reminiscent of two magnets having the properties of polar opposites being repulsed by each other.