5 - The chicken or the egg

Thursday was overcast, and the drizzle had me longing for the snow from a few days ago. The chilly rain made winter even more depressing. I was the first to arrive at the library and glad Marjorie had handed me a key the night before. At least I didn't have to wait outside for Conny.

With the low clouds, the interior remained gloomy, and I hurried to switch on the light before too many ghosts could pop up. But Cat sat already in the middle of the reception desk and yawned.

"Good morning, Miss Assistant Librarian."

So much for my suspicion—or hope—the strange visits would cease when Marjorie wasn't around.

"Good morning, Sir Cheshire." I took off my jacket, hung it to dry, and placed my backpack next to the desk.

The cat licked a paw and blinked. "Cat will do. Everyone calls me Cat."

"Okay, nice to meet you then, Cat. My name is Lynn."

Cat stood and stretched his back, his blue fur bristling, before he sat down and folded his paws under his chest. "The pleasure is all mine, Lynn. And now the proper introductions are done. How can I help you?"

I switched on the computer and sat down. "Help me?"

"Yes, like answering your nosy questions or showing you the ominous treasures and secrets of the library."

I wasn't sure I could stomach more secrets, not without the support of Marjorie, or at least Paco's down-to-Earth presence. Cat seemed to read my thoughts, and his mouth twitched into his trademark grin. "Ah, I'd have taken you for more adventurous. But don't fret, there are no bodies hidden underneath the floorboards."

As if on cue, I stared at the polished floor. "Such a relief. Well, since you're the local expert, what can you tell me about Luca?"

"Fascinating how you steer straight to the core. I must admit, you catch up fast."

"He was hard to overlook, and since Marjorie couldn't tell me much about him, I wondered if you might."

Cat winked and twitched his tail. "I might."

A deep sigh escaped my throat—communication with this feline could be outright frustrating. "Okay, while you think about it, I'll be doing my round. Perhaps Luca will enlighten me himself." No need to tell Cat I hoped I wouldn't run into the blue-eyed ghost.

He snorted. "Ah, you must learn to cope with a good-natured joke. Besides, I'd be surprised if our lost boy talks to you. Listen—"

I never got to hear what he was about to tell me. The cheerful door chime announced Conny, who folded her dripping umbrella over the floor mat.

"Good morning. I swear I can't wait for spring and warmer weather."

Despite her miserable and exhausted expression, I didn't dare to ask what ailed her. "I agree. Spring sounds nice. But I'm grateful I still have a few weeks of work until then."

"That, I can imagine." She steered for the kitchen and I followed her, but not without a glance at the spot where Cat had lounged a moment ago. As expected, he had disappeared. While we waited for the water to boil, Conny twisted her wedding band around her finger. I had never seen her do that before and wondered why she was so fidgety today.

"This library means everything to Marjorie, and she often overworks herself to keep it running. Some days, I fear she'll suffer a breakdown with all the activities she organises, and I feel bad I'm not a great help."

While I was glad Conny had given up her reservation about me, I didn't know why she told me this.

Once the tea was ready, she filled two cups and drew in a long breath. "I can't work the evenings and weekends. Danny is still at an age where he needs my attention, and Amber—well, she's fourteen and growing into a real teenager, now. I try to be a good parent to them."