13 - A visitor

Two weeks later, Marjorie returned to the library on a Wednesday morning. Despite using a walking stick for support, her steps seemed less painful than before, and her energetic presence lit up the room from the moment the door closed behind her.

She stopped on the doormat, straightened her back, took in the room with gleaming eyes, and let her gaze rest on me. "Lynn, so good to see you. How are you?"

Before I could answer, Cat pranced up to her with his tail held high and weaved a figure eight around her ankles, purring. "And of course, good to see you too, Cat. How are things in the world beyond?"

"Splendid, and wonderful to have you back, dearest Marjorie." He sat down and wrapped his tail around his paws. "Consider me ready to brave the challenge and talk you out of sending our beloved Lynn away. The girl is a keeper." He winked and made a pleading face at the same time.

I rolled my eyes, but Marjorie only chucked. "Good to know you approve of her, my dear Cat, because I plan to offer her a part-time job here."

A pleasant shiver ran down my spine and chased my nagging worries for my future. "You wouldn't be kidding about something like this, would you?"

She hung her coat and unwrapped her long woollen scarf. "Of course not—see it like this. For the next few weeks, I'm allowed to work half days only and should avoid spending endless hours sitting behind a desk. Things will improve, but my doctor suggests reducing my workload in the long term. As much as I love this place, I think she has a point."

"I'm sorry to hear, and I don't want to keep you from doing what you love."

"Not at all, my dear. It will help me enjoy my time here more and concentrate on the things that matter most for me. So, with Conny's agreement, I already suggested to the manager hiring you for three days a week. I also talked to several members of the community board who support giving you a contract. I think you know one of them, she's a nurse and s praise your reaction the day of the accident."

Her words gave me warm fuzzies. While I had been channeling my worries about my future into writing a happy end for Luca, Marjorie had spent her convalescence creating a job for me. "You're the best, Marjorie." I was tempted to hug her, but didn't dare, afraid to hurt her new hip.

"Unfortunately, I can't offer you more because of our limited funding."

I made a quick calculation. The pay for sixty percent would be enough to cover the rent and my basic needs. Plus, I could always look for another part-time job.

"Believe me, three days a week is far better than nothing." While I still couldn't imagine a library without Luca, my future looked much brighter of a sudden. I couldn't wait to tell Conny.

The next day passed in a breeze, and Friday, Marjorie surprised me with my contract. Conny had offered to reduce her own hours, so I ended with seventy percent, with Mondays and Tuesdays off. To celebrate, Marjorie invited us both for lunch in a small restaurant two streets away.

Over the delicious meal, we learned Conny and Paco planned an outing to the local aqua park for the weekend. Marjorie approved of the development and winked at me while Conny was distracted by hiding her flushing cheeks behind the menu at the mention of her blossoming relationship.

In the company of these two different women, my fear I'd never find a place for myself in this world melted like snow in the sun. Not even the downpour wetting us to the bone on our way back to the library could dampen my soaring sprits. Despite the rain hammering against the windows all afternoon, I felt like riding on a fluffy cloud with an outlook on a sunny future.

I was halfway through rereading Conny's report for the financial control when the library door opened and a gust of cold, humid air wafted to my desk and rippled the sheets in my hand. With the wind entered a young man in a black anorak. He ran his hands through his dripping hair and made it stand up in all directions, but he didn't seem to mind or notice. With an unconscious motion, he brushed the droplets from his shoulders and looked around with wide eyes, taking in the library as if it were a warehouse of wonders.