12 - Night shifts

The week after my talk with Cat passed without trouble and I enjoyed the days getting longer and a first hint of spring in the air. Primulas joined the snowdrops and speckled the lawns with white, pale yellow and pink blossoms while birds chirped in the bare branches of the trees.

Despite this exciting development, I couldn't stop contemplating Luca's situation, and the longer I did, the more I got convinced I had to do something about it. But what? In the end, the idea came from an unexpected side.

When I arrived in the library Monday afternoon, I found Conny whistling in the kitchen corner.

"Lynn, nice to see you. How was your weekend?"

I had never seen her in such a good mood, and I didn't want to talk about my boring weekend under these circumstances. "Fine, and you? Is there a reason you're so upbeat today?"

Her brows arched. "Am I? Well, now you mention it—perhaps it's the smell of spring." She poured tea into two cups and handed me one. I inhaled the fragrance and added some milk.

"Come on, Conny, I know there must be something else."

Her cheeks flushed pink, and I knew I had hit home when she gazed away and closed her hands around the cup. "Paco invited me for dinner."

"Wow, great news—did you accept?"

"Not yet, and if I think about it, I fear I shouldn't."

Not so good news after all. "And why is that?"

She stared into her cup as if it contained the wisdom of the universe. "It's only three years since Marcel—you know, and I'm afraid Amber and Danny might disapprove."

"Conny, it's not my business and I know I am too direct and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure the kids won't mind. If you worry about it, then you should stop presuming and ask them. Or do you want me to call your daughter? I'll go as far as offering to entertain her and Danny so you don't have to worry about them during your date."

A grin stole onto her lips. "Lynn, you're worse than Marjorie and my mum together. But you have a point, and I promise I'll ask them. Are you serious about babysitting?"

"Sure, but don't let Amber hear that word or she'll make you regret it."

She placed her empty cup in the sink, shaking her head, but her lips curved upwards, and she had an unusual skip in her step when she returned to her desk.

I took my cup to the front desk, where Cat waited for me. "Well played, my dear assistant librarian."

"Cat, please stop assuming everything I do has the goal of furthering your mysterious master-plan."

He grinned as broad as only the Cheshire Cat can. "Whatever your reasons, it's the outcome that matters."

"I agree, but just to answer your unavoidable next question, no, I don't think she'll sit down and continue writing Luca's story just because she's going on a date."

The grin faded, and he folded his paws under his chest. "Right, we need to move our engagement to the next level."

I groaned, getting ready for an argument. To my surprise, Luca appeared in my office chair, coming to my rescue. "Cat, stop pressuring her. Lynn has done a lot already and if this story will remain unfinished, I can live with it. I am sure there are more persons affected by abandoned storylines than we can imagine."

Cat snorted. "You're the only one wandering this premises like a lost soul, though."

"Stop it, guys." That came out too loud for a library and I checked if someone had overheard me. No customer glanced in my direction, but I lowered my voice just in case. "When I see a chance to get Conny to change her mind, I will give my best. But until then, you both could try to be happy for her and let me do my job."