fool- spencer

"Hey you," Spencer was sort of chuffed that you'd noticed him so quickly even though he was trying to be subtle in checking up on you. You were sitting cross-legged on the kitchen counter, leaning over the sink to fill your water bottle.

"Hey you too," the smile he gave you was something you sure drove every girl on the other side of the screen wild, so genuine, so soft.

"I'm fine, Spencer, really," he might be the genius in the villa but he was very transparent, you'd seen him stealing little glances at you all throughout dinner as you desperately tried to avoid your partner's gaze. It also didn't help that he'd ask you at least five times if you'd be fine sleeping out on the daybeds alone. "I mean if anything I feel like I owe Derek and Savannah some credit, how they managed to spend the night together on there with all the bugs crawling in that bed is beyond me."

"I'm sorry," he was, truly he was, of all the people in the villa he was sure you deserved this less than anyone, you'd found them that morning, actually everyone found them, fast asleep in each other's arms, clothes scattered by the pool, the writers couldn't have made up something more scandalous if they tried.

"Don't be, it's part of the game, right?" you fiddled with the lid of your bottle, hoping you were more convincing than you felt but when Spencer took your hand in his you knew you weren't. The touch was odd, nervous, he was comforting you but that didn't mean you made him any less anxious than you usually did. "A guy like that, a girl like me, wouldn't work in the real world, don't know why I thought it would work in here."

"Don't say that, him cheating on you is on him, not you," he tugged at your fingers, forcing you to look away from your lap even though the other hand that he placed on your knee made you want to do anything but. "You deserve someone good, you know, someone who'd never even think of looking at someone else- he had you and he screwed it up, that makes him a fool."

"A fool, huh?" you squeezed his hand, smiling as he nodded earnestly. "Thank you for coming to check up on me, Spence."

"I just wanted to come to get a glass of water, actually," he was a terrible liar, awful actually he couldn't even look at you, and when you kissed his cheek so quickly that he wasn't even sure it happened he felt as though he was catching on fire, cheeks a deep shade of rosette.

"Thank you."

"Anytime. Really, I'll always be here for you," he meant it and when he finally worked up the courage to look at you again he was extremely proud of himself to find a sweet smile on your previously frowning lips.