Chapter Three

A stupid plan isn't stupid if it works, but embarrassing is embarrassing regardless of the results. I tried to push away the thought as I hunkered down behind the library wall that met the table, high heel in hand, with nothing on except a slip.

A day and a half has passed and I had taken off my dress and veil to use as a blanket the night before. Something I did more out of amusement than practicality. When I awoke to my water pitcher being full, it hit me—Why don't I use this as a trick to lull the person into a false sense of security? I thought. I could place it farther away, put some books underneath it, and make it look like I'm sleeping under there! The pitcher can be placed right where they usually put it and I can sneak attack them from the back.

It was stupid. Even borderlining unnecessary, but my stomach churned at the thought of being stuck alone in a room longer than I had to.

I would've used the veil as a trip mechanism, but the table was too close to the door, so I couldn't put anything I could tie the veil to, without giving the trap away. I didn't want to take any chances.

If I fail, the person escapes, and I risk not having any more water or visitors; It works, the person leaves the door open a bit and I escape; the person closes the door and I capture her in an attempt to get answers; or lastly, I wait until the figure opens the door as they leave, and either knock him out or push them out of the way so I can leave while the door is open.

I didn't have faith that the fourth option would work, so it was more of a last resort depending on how fast he went. That aside, the fourth option is probably when I'll be spotted, so I'd have to act fast.

The only reason why I didn't consider just talking to the person, is because they only showed up when I fell asleep last time. If they only meant to deliver my water when I slept, then I might spook them off.

So I waited.

It felt like hours before the door creaked open.

I snapped out of my daze and leaned over to see who it was. No one. No one that I could see, that is. The small steps the person made were not particularly quiet.

The person paused, seemingly looking over at the wedding dress con, then continued forward towards the pitcher. A pitcher full of water appeared out of air, clinking down onto the table, before the empty pitcher disappeared, seemingly being picked up by the invisible enigma. It appeared again farther away from the edge than it had been, before the filled pitcher disappeared again. Water flowed into the empty glass I had sat down earlier.

I slipped down from the counter, carefully and quietly.

It sounded like a woman, muttering to herself some lullaby.

I'll lay you down to sleep,

Dearest me, my baby,

May your soul, God please keep.

So close your eyes sweetie.

I started tiptoeing towards her, matching her movements so that she could see me in her peripheral vision.

Dream of candy canes and love

Until the moon starts to rise

Higher and higher yet above,

Singing you my lullaby...

I edged closer still to the figure until I was a few feet away.

So sleep and dream away,

Away, away, neath your sheets.

Until it's time again to play.

Until—