Chapter Eight

I took out my journal from my desk and scribbled down all that I could remember.

"Are you afraid that the moonlight might burn you?" His voice was mocking, but not in a terrible way.

I twirled my parasol on my collarbone. "I just thought," I looked at him up through my eyelashes, though I could not see him. "Maybe, we could see the sunrise together?"

He chuckled. "I've seen it many times. The book you've been reading, on the other hand, intrigues me more. 'Shallow Shortcomings' doesn't seem like the book you, of all people, would read.

I glanced behind me at a thick, emerald book with golden words engraved on it, titled 'Shallow Shortcomings.'

"Ah, I just started it. I'm afraid I don't have much information about it to tell you."

"It's a popular romance among young ladies, or so I've heard." He meandered beside me to pick up the book. "I thought you didn't like reading."

"I don't, but my sister insisted I try it." I shook my head. "I haven't had the time to invest into such things lately, so I haven't gotten far."

"Mind if I borrow it?" He hushed me. "But it's a secret, alright? My brothers would never let me hear the end of it if they caught me with this."

I nodded. "Of course, but please remember to return it to me."

That was the dream I had before someone shook me awake, exclaiming that I had broken out into a fever and had been asleep for most of the day. It's the same dream I've had in my delirium the past week and a half.

When I woke up for the frist time, I must've mumbled that my stomach hurt, because I was immediately taken to the bathroom and held over a toilet. My stomach was repeatedly pumped until I dispelled the contents of my stomach.

It had been a few hours since I woke up before I started feeling marginally better. My water pitcher had been constantly filled up and emptied, but it was five hours later before I finally needed to use the bathroom. I vaguely remember that I was drenched with sweat, and when I looked into the mirror, I couldn't find myself. Instead, there was a skeleton with chapped skin for cloth draped over her body, clinging to her bones. I waved my hand. It waved back at the same time.

Things went dizzy and I was back in bed with Noreen and Laura fussing over me. They forced me into a hot onesie and urged me to drink more water.

So many times, I closed my eyes and welcomed the blissful abyss over the pain and misery, before being shaken awake once again. It went on like that.

One. Two. Three days.

I was told four days had passed before I was finally able to use the bathroom on my own. More days must've passed before I could find myself in the mirror again, and even so, I still couldn't believe that I had grown so thin in such a short amount of time.

That was all I cared to recollect in my journal.

I leaned back in my chair, "Laura, Noreen, are either of you there?"

"Yes, my lady," they replied.

"You say I was given rotten bread?"

Noreen spoke first. "I was informed that it was food poisoning, yes." She sighed. "The cook wishes to extend his apologies once again, my lady."

I shook my head with a bitter laugh. "I'm a prisoner, remember? I didn't expect to be treated well—in fact, I may be treated better than most prisoners. Am I wrong?"