Ch 4: The News of Balls

Elowen gaped at the newsprint on the table before her. The whole market had been buzzing when she went out to purchase milk and eggs for her pastries. Prince Fletcher of Cyra was engaged to Princess Estefania de Sahar.

The news had brought her heart into her throat. Something in her bones seemed to grind and heave as she read the missive, like someone had made a cosmic mistake.

She needed to get her head back into her pastries. Granted, her intuition usually wasn't wrong, but she didn't know why she felt so revolted that a man she'd met two days ago was marrying an exiled princess.

Elowen had met Estefania's brother, Prince Bastien. He'd been living in Nene for sixteen years and was generous. Surely, his sister was equally respectable.

Cookie looked at the print and sighed. "Cyra is having a set of balls to congratulate the couple. I imagine your family will need to be in attendance."

She hadn't even thought of that. Brennon wouldn't let her escape a ball like this. He'd say that they had to represent the future of Nene. Her stepmother would happily parade around her two healthy daughters, and even her father would attend a spectacle like this.

"The ball is the day after tomorrow," Cookie said. "Take the day off, milady. Have Britt get your dresses ready and coordinate with Lord Brennon. You really cannot skip this occasion, Lady Elowen."

Elowen's spine stiffened. Cookie was right. She couldn't afford to miss this ball. Usually, she hated these occasions, but every fiber of her being was screaming that she, Lady Elowen de Nene, needed to attend this one.

"Very well," Elowen said, setting aside the flour bag she was about to rip into.

Cookie raised a gray eyebrow. "You aren't going to fight me on this, milady?"

"Nope," Elowen smiled. "You're right, Cookie. I need to be at that party."

Her elderly friend didn't look amused. "Who are you, and what have you done with my Elowen?"

Elowen laughed. "I'm growing up, Cookie."

The door to the kitchen flew open, and her brother Brennon stood there carrying a few parcels. His chestnut hair was rumpled, and he looked like he'd slept in his tunic.

"There you are, El," he said. "I suppose you heard about the prince. I got word from Papa, and he wants us to meet him in Cyra tomorrow morning to be first in the receiving line. We're lucky I suspected there might be a royal event like this soon, and I ordered you some dresses when I was in Sahar. I think this is enough outfits for three days of balls."

"Three?" Elowen's eyes widened.

Brennon sighed. "I know you don't like parties, but this is really important. Papa says we must represent Nene. The countess is bringing her daughters. Don't make me go with our droll stepsisters."

"She claims she wants to go, milord," Cookie said.

Brennon looked at his sister with an odd expression. "El, I hope that's true. We can have our own fun tasting every pastry that the Cyran chefs put out and comparing them to yours."

Elowen resisted the urge to grin. Her brother did know all the ways to her heart. Besides, how bad could the ball be if Brennon stayed by her side?

"Go clean up, milady," Cookie pushed her towards the door.

Elowen wandered past her brother and out towards the main stairs of the house. Still, she didn't go straight to her room. She had to tell Wryn where she would be for a few days.

Wryn was so lonely, and she hated to leave her alone. Unfortunately Elowen still couldn't shake the feeling that she needed to see Fletcher at that ball. He still hadn't gotten her recipe from her, so she could at least use that as an excuse to talk to him.