07: hypocrite

Vijay was in the tail end of the bus, standing right next to the entry, hoping, praying that Nila got in through this entry

Vijay was in the tail end of the bus, standing right next to the entry, hoping, praying that Nila got in through this entry. During practice today, Vijay had hit a new record and his coach, who rarely ever gave him a pat on the back, did it with a smile on his face that could be nothing other than pride. Vijay was elated. Since he was in such good spirits from the morning, he really didn't want to go to college and ruin his mood. The classes were getting really dry as the professors were rushing to finish teaching the course before the exams. He considered bunking but then he thought to himself, seeing and talking to Nila today would be the perfect icing on top. Hence, him leaning on the railing, tolerating the noisy crowd and the shrill whistles of the conductor.

As soon as the bus stopped at Nila's stop, the crowd filed in. Nila tried to get in through the back entry first. At the last second, she looked at the front entry and ran towards it, climbing in and securing a comfortable spot next to the first seat. Disappointment weighed him down like an anchor that he wasn't close to her but he was a little happy that she didn't have to stand in the stairs again.

Vijay thought of that day and he still winced at how he had impulsively grabbed her hand and tugged her close to him. He didn't accurately calculate the proximity it was going to put them in. When he had inhaled the coconut and floral scent of her shampoo and felt the warmth radiating off her, he heard the wires in his brain buzzing and short-circuiting, heading towards a blackout. Vijay couldn't stop the image from replaying in his mind.

If it was any other girl, she would have probably slapped him for doing that. But... in an odd, comforting way, Nila hadn't. She had understood his intentions and adorably told him a thank you. Besides, it had led to the longest conversation he'd had with her. He realised he could go on and on if he could listen to her talk. Nila had a soothing voice. He wondered if she sang.

He looked at her side and found Nila staring at him already. She immediately averted her gaze, her cheeks turning a beautiful shade of pink. Agh, how he wished he could see it up close. Nila met his eyes again and waved at him, shyly tucking a strand behind her ears. Vijay ached to someday do that for her.

She was wearing a tight white kurta today and the way it moulded onto her body like a second skin was illegal. He wasn't the first to notice it though. He saw the two middle-aged men in the seat beside her sneaking glances at her, running their filthy eyes down her body. Even the women were staring at her. Nila had the power to dictate a crowd with her beauty alone and he didn't think she knew it. He wanted to be close to her, close, close, close. He wanted to ward off those men and threaten them against ever looking at her like that again.

Nila opened her mouth as if to say something but she closed it shut. Vijay wanted to desperately know what she wanted to tell him. Nila didn't look at him after that.

That's why when she finally met his eyes, he didn't even try to stop himself from doing what he did next. He pointed to her, then his clothes and touched his thumb to his index finger. So pretty, he mouthed just in case she didn't get it.