12.Mehndi function

Bride's House Mehndi function

Natasha's POV

I was just sitting, watching the relatives work and roam around, with kids running and adults busy with decorations and applying my mehndi paste. Shreya was beside me, and I was zoned out until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I lifted my head and saw Shreya looking at me with a smile.

"Don't overthink too much, okay?" she said, and I nodded with a small smile.

Then, an aunty came to us holding cones of mehndi in her hands, and she distributed them among others.

"Our Natasha is getting married finally, and it should be special. We'll make the best design for you, my dear," she said with a smile. I smiled back, though it was fake.

They started applying mehndi on my hands and legs. I was tired of sitting for hours, feeling sleepy, and my hands were hurting from being kept straight for so long.

"Is it done?" I asked one of the aunties as she lifted her head to look at me.

"Almost, dear, just some final touches," she replied, and they continued applying mehndi.

I rested my head on Shreya's shoulder, feeling sleepy and tired. They applied mehndi up to my elbows, and I wondered how much longer I had to wait.

"Done," the aunty said with a smile, putting the empty cone aside and kissing my forehead.

"My child, just wait until the mehndi dries completely, okay?" she said with a smile

"How long do I have to wait?" I asked.

"You have to keep this mehndi on all night for a dark color. After it dries completely, you can walk," she explained, and I felt disappointed that I had to wait so long. Though I loved mehndi, keeping it on all night seemed too much.

I looked down at my hands, and a smile formed on my lips automatically as I admired how beautiful the design was. The intricate patterns and delicate details were truly mesmerizing. However, beneath the appreciation for the artistry, there was a lingering sense of unease. I liked the design, but I didn't like the fact that it was for my marriage.

 I liked the design, but I didn't like the fact that it was for my marriage