6. "Facing the Inevitable"

بسم اللّٰہ الرحمٰن الرحیم
•••••••
Allah says in Qur'an:
"O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it. And fear Allah; indeed, Allah is Accepting of repentance and Merciful."
Surah Al-Hujurat (49:12)
________________________

Khan House:

Ramsha's POV:

Aaliya dropped me off at home and left for hers. As I entered, I was taken aback by the unusual scene before me. My entire family was gathered in the living room, even though it was midday. We typically only come together for dinner, as per my mother's strict rule of everyone being home before 7 p.m. So, seeing them all here at this hour was surprising.

I hesitated but eventually stepped into the living room, greeted by curious stares that made me feel like an outsider. Just as I was about to head to my room, my father, Sohail Shah, spoke up, halting me in my tracks.

"Ramsha... Bacche baat suno," He said affectionately. I turned to acknowledge him, but instead, my mother interjected.

("Ramsha... Listen, my child.")

"Ramsha, jao change kar lo... Phir niche aana. Kuch zaroori baat discuss karni hai." she instructed, and I nodded in agreement.

("Ramsha, go change and then come downstairs. There's something important we need to discuss.")

Although I had a hunch about the topic of discussion, I couldn't shake off the nerves as I changed and freshened up before heading downstairs. Taking a seat among my family, I braced myself for what was to come, though my mind was racing with uncertainty.

And I can say for sure now my father would ask about my day at university and my mother would tell me to take care of myself. I can predict.

"Ramsha.... Tumhara din kaisa tha??" My father inquired calmly.

("Ramsha.... How was your day?")

"Alhamdulillah, good," I replied politely, taking a seat on the sofa next to Adeel, my brother.

"Hmm... Good. Ramsha, tumhen apna khayal rakhna chahiye.... Tum din ba din kamzor hoti ja rahi ho." my mother remarked, and I offered her a reassuring smile, promising to heed her advice.

("Hmm... Good. Ramsha, you really need to start taking better care of yourself.... You seem to be getting weaker day by day.")

I knew where this conversation was leading, and my anxiety intensified. Maybe there was something else bothering me, something I couldn't quite articulate.

"Ramsha, Mama, Baba ne tumhen aik baat batani thi." Abbas, my eldest brother, spoke up, with the others nodding in agreement.

("Ramsha, Mama, Baba wanted to tell you something.")

As Abbas Bhai spoke, my heart sank. The words echoed in my mind, leaving me frozen and numb. Marriage? I couldn't process it. Fear, shock, and guilt washed over me.

"Ramsha, jaisa ke tumhara last semester hai and you are already 21... So we are thinking of getting you married." my father announced, sending a shockwave through me. I felt frozen in place, unable to process the news.

("As it is your last semester, Ramsha and you are already 21.... So we thinking of arranging your marriage")

"Hamne aik acha rishta bhi dekh liya hai aur wo log tumhari tasweer mang rahe hain. Tum aisa karo aik achi si tasweer send kar do mujhe... Mai unhen dikha doon gi." my mother added, bringing me back to reality.