Chapter 3

Five years later

Five years later and I was still living in the same cabin with the same person who found me after the monster attack. Jett could be a curse sometimes, but always found a way to make things...not as horrible as they could be.

I still hadn't found out that much more about the monster, nor had I found out much about Jett, either.

We both had instinctively kept quiet the past five years, trying to keep ourselves away from civilization. But every now and then I would have to go into my old town to get some "food". After a few months of going into town, we soon learned that I needed to kill people to live, like Jett had stated earlier that year. It turned out that when I kill people, I actually take their souls, and the souls are what are keeping me alive.

But rumors have been spreading around the town, saying that there is a serial killer on the loose killing all the adults in the town. Once people heard that, everyone moved out and the place became a ghost town.

You could often see crows landing all over the town coming to eat the corpses of the people who were killed. The wooden boards on the houses started whittling away, and you could see all the rotting furniture inside. Instead of packing up and leaving, everyone decided to just flee, not risking to stay there any longer than they have to.

I also found out that I could go months on end without needing more food, which was a blessing considering our circumstances. For the past few months I haven't eaten anything, but I started to get hungry lately.

Most call me a villain, but I like to think of myself as a regular person who just has different needs as others. Some people have powers that require different things than other people, so I don't understand why I would be any different.

Jett came up to me while I was chopping wood outside the cabin, "I've seen that you have been pretty weak the past few weeks. Could that possibly have anything to do with the fact that you no longer have any more food?" Me and Jett got a lot closer over the years, but not in a lovey-dovey relationship-like way. He was more like a big brother to me.

"Oh no, I'm completely fine," I answered. I knew Jett didn't believe me for a second when he grabbed my arm and dragged me into the cabin again. I dropped the ax on the ground as I fumbled forward.

"Why do you have to be so protective?" I asked. He was always like this when he sensed something wrong with me.

His playful smile turned into a frown, "Please don't ask that question."

Jett was a mysterious person and never really told me anything about him. All that I knew was that he knew someone named Isla and didn't have any living parents.

He shoved any thoughts he had away and his smile returned. "How about we go have some fun?"

I started feeling dizzy as I knelt to the ground. My stomach clawed at me, pleading for me to give it something to digest.

"We should get you to a town," Jett ordered. He helped me back up onto my feet.

"Maybe we could head north? I heard there are very famous and populated cities up there," I suggested. There weren't really any options to head to nearby. And that was the only place I could think of currently.

Jetts eyes widened with fear, "No. We are not going there. I have some...problems with a few of the people there," I had never seen Jett this scared before. There must have been some really horrifying things there for him. "Let's go to the capital of Yoterra. That place is crazy busy and no one will notice you there because there is so much other crime."

"What place is that again?" I asked. The dizziness was affecting my memory.

"It's the desert sector, remember?" I shook my head, "I guess you were never taught that in school, were you?"