Chapter 5

As we walked the crowded streets of Yoterra, we could see more and more people disappearing into their homes. Since there were so many people walking every which way, it was hard to tell if someone was walking towards you or past you. The streets were soon empty and no sounds could be heard through the walls of the houses.

"It seems pretty early for people to be heading home," I commented. Looking at the sun, it was only seven.

"Maybe they are preparing for tomorrow?" Jett said.

"Yeah, but wouldn't there at least be lights on in the houses? All the homes are pitch black right now. No one is even making a peep inside either," Jett seemed to understand what I was saying. Nothing seemed right, but we just continued our walk.

We found our way to a tailor's shop where on display were the most beautiful gold dresses I had ever seen. Sadly, the store was closed so we would have to go the next day.

We decided to go back to our residence after a little while. Either way, it was starting to get cold out and guards were now roaming the streets.

When we got back, me and Jett tried cramming in the bed together, but both of us didn't fit in together. Jett volunteered to sleep in a chair while I took the bed, and I gladly accepted.

The night went by without any troubles. We woke up that morning and headed out to the shop where we bought the clothes for the ball as well as some casual clothes to wear outside of it. We still had a little money left over, so we went to go buy some food. Food for Jett, mostly. I still didn't get any yet.

There is not much space in the outskirts of Yoterra that isn't crowded. Most people are with groups and in big crowds. People can barely get around without bumping into someone else.

Eventually, we went behind our apartment building and decided to wait and see if anyone came behind. No one did. As we were about to leave, though, something caught my eye. A dark, menacing shadowy creature loomed in a corner between a wall and a fence. It had no face and no limbs. Just a black shadow.

I tried to walk up to it. Around it seems to be some kind of glow. I couldn't quite grasp what this creature was, but it seemed familiar. As I got closer, there seemed to be a rumbling noise coming from the ground. I looked down to see what's going on, but by the time I looked up, the creature had disappeared.

"Did you see that?" I asked Jett.

"See what? And why were you walking that way, when the way out of here is over there?" He said, pointing over his shoulder.

"There was a, a- You know what? Nevermind. It was probably nothing."

"You're probably hallucinating from the lack of food. We should get you some," Jett gestured for me to follow him.

"No, no. I don't think I need it anymore. After encountering that thing, I don't feel weak. I feel like I'm back to my usual self."

Jett just looked at me, confused. "All right, if you say so."

We headed out of the alleyway and back into our apartment. The room felt humid, yet dry at the same time. There wasn't a good word to describe it so much as there was no word to explain how horrible it was to live in it. The room was dirty and unlivable.

"I don't know how we are going to live here," I said, crossing my arms. I wouldn't be able to stay here in these conditions.

"Then let's try to make it so we can live here," Jett wrapped his arm around my shoulder. There were absolutely no words to describe how glad I was that he was here with me. No words to say how grateful I was that he found me all those years ago.