Chapter 11: It's Tea Time, Bitch!

I was invited to a tea party!

Why do awful things keep happening to me?

I clutch the invitation in my hand. Cecilia's handwriting is as exquisite as her heart is rotten. "Dear Seraphina, my most beloved friend," she begins, and I can practically hear her sickeningly sweet voice dripping with deceit. I want to puke. How could Seraphina have fallen for her treachery? "I kindly request your presence at my private tea party, today at four," the letter continues. This is such a pain in the ass!

"Ugh," I groan, louder than I intended. Lily catches the sound and glances my way, concern etched across her gentle features. "What's the matter, Your Highness?"

"Nothing," I lie, trying my best to mimic Seraphina's kind demeanor. "Just an invitation from Cecilia for tea." I wave the crisp paper in Lily's direction. She nods and looks down slightly, her soft brown eyes betraying her uneasiness. "I'll make the arrangements."

The moment Lily exits the room, my mind races. Why is Cecilia asking me to a tea party? Does she intend to poison my tea now? Maybe she wants to try a new toxin... After yesterday's fiasco with Tristan, I'm sure they have concocted a new scheme. I need to stay alert and ready for whatever they throw at me. With determination, I leap off the bed just as Lily walks back in, startling her with my sudden movement.

"Your Highness!" she exclaims, her eyes wide with surprise.

"We must prepare for this tea party," I exclaim, my tone sharp. "We don't have much time."

***

"Alright, Your Highness," Lily says, wringing out the washcloth one last time. "All clean now."

"Thank you, Lily," I reply, stepping out of the warm bath and wrapping myself in a plush towel. She helps me dry off before beginning the arduous process of preparing me for the tea party. First, she braids my hair, adding a few delicate flowers for a touch of elegance. Next, she applies a light layer of makeup to my face, just enough to enhance my features.

Finally, it's time to put on the dress. I brace myself for the excruciating process. I hate wearing such constricting, obnoxiously lavish garments. With Lily's help, I manage to squeeze into the beautiful white gown adorned with delicate pink pearls cascading down the skirt. Then comes the gloves, the necklace, the earrings, and the worst part: tightening the corset. But I endure it all. These are my battling clothes now, and I'm prepared to go to war.

The carriage ride to Lady Cecilia's mansion is not too long. We arrive at a small mansion situated near the edge of the noble neighborhoods of the capital. The exterior is elegant, yet modest – clearly belonging to a noble, but not one of the richest or highest ranked among them. It seems Lady Cecilia isn't quite as well-off as I'd thought.

As Lily calls on the door, we're greeted by an old servant who appears to be the only one present. The woman looks more like a hag than a servant, her gnarled hands and hunched posture suggesting she's far too old to still be working. She greets us with a gruff, "Lady Cecilia is waiting for you in the tea room. Follow me," her tone as rude as her appearance.

"Thank you," I reply, trying my best to remain polite. As we follow the servant through the mansion, I can't help but wonder if Cecilia has financial troubles. Is this all she can afford?

The old servant pushes open the doors to the tea room, revealing Cecilia in all her finery. "Seraphina, darling, how wonderful to see you," she coos, wrapping me in an embrace that's as tight as the smile that fails to warm her eyes. I grit my teeth and let her hug me, trying to hide the disgust churning in my stomach.

Cecilia is dressed magnificently, her deep red dress displaying far too much cleavage for a simple afternoon tea. I'll have to focus really hard not to let her see that I know about her plot to murder me and her affair with Tristan. Not to mention, try not to get myself killed. This war might not be fought with swords and daggers, but it will be just as dangerous – if not more so.