CHAPTER 22 | LIEUTENANT MAGE

"Behind you!" Castyr's call caused Axel to whip around and fire at the hovercraft pursuing them. Upon breaking out of Nature's Preserve, the three began to be constantly pursued and fired at as they drove over the dark surface of the Earth.

Another hovercraft broke off from the main air raid and joined the first in firing at the rover. Kilo swerved out of the way of the bullets while Castyr aimed his rifle. After carefully lining up the target, the star shot a single round. The nearest hovercraft exploded into flames as Castyr's bullet found its mark in its energy core.

Once the first craft went down, Castyr immediately turned toward the second one. While the star readied his aim, Axel whipped his head around for a way out of the open landscape. They would become sitting ducks if they remained so far out in the open.

Spotting a city growing on the horizon, Axel pointed toward it while alerting Kilo, "Head for the city! It will provide us some cover."

Hearing the hangel's words, Kilo instantly swerved from their course and began racing toward the city. The explosion of the first hovercraft caught the attention of several more forces from Hades, and soon, two more hovercrafts as well as four rovers were heading for them.

The enemy was too far away for Axel to use his dagger set, and his pistols were not powerful enough to deal much damage. Castyr was the three's main weapon and was able to take down another hovercraft before Kilo linked him with his mind.

Switch with me. Castyr's eyes snapped to Kilo when he heard his angel's voice in his mind. He knew what Kilo planned to do. He had done the same thing many a time during fights in their earlier days. However, Castyr understood that his angel was strong and an expert at the maneuver, so he did not protest and took the driver's seat while Kilo moved to the back of the rover.

"Hold on, Axel," Kilo warned as Castyr slowed the rover, allowing the enemy to catch up to them.

Axel looked around with wide eyes as he held onto the back of the rover and watched as Kilo drew his sword from his back. The angel stepped onto the upper ledge of the rover's back and readied his sword as he waited for the enemy to come within range. Castyr swerved to the left to avoid a string of bullets, and Kilo deflected them with his sword while Axel used his daggers to block any that slipped past the angel.

Kilo's eyes slanted as he watched the enemy grow closer and closer. When it felt like they would be upon them any moment, the angel leaped from the rover and swirled toward the hovercraft diving toward them. The speed of the angel did not allow for the enemy to change course before Kilo's blade sliced through it.

Upon eliminating the small hovercraft, Kilo opened his wings to steady himself before folding them again and diving toward the four demon rovers. Sending his sword before him, Kilo used Ymir to slice the tires of the rovers before flying back to Castyr and Axel.

The moment Kilo landed on their rover, Castyr revved to full speed and raced away from the enemy. Axel scanned their surroundings to ensure no other forces of Hades had joined the pursuit while Kilo settled into the passenger seat next to his star. "All clear," Axel announced after not seeing any additional enemy crafts on their tail.

Axel released a breath as he sank into the back row of the rover. Worry engulfed the hangel as he thought of the unit fending off so many forces on its own, and he buried his head in his hands.

"They'll be okay," a soft voice spoke out. Castyr had noticed the hangel's dismay and was quick to reassure him. "The colonel is with them."

Axel lifted his face from being buried in his palms and gazed at the star with moist eyes. "I could have helped..." His voice was quiet as he whispered what was making him feel so torn.