CHAPTER 27 | ENIGMA

The sounds of the city below filtered into Rae's room through the opened balcony doors. Upon landing in Daedoeshi, Adira housed the rescued members of Unit R with the soldiers from the unit she commanded in a secured skyreacher not too far from where the summit was to be held. The moon was nearing its peak as Rae stood just before the glass railing that enclosed his room's balcony.

The cold night wind rippled through the colonel's chocolate brown hair and flowed through the soft fabric of his shirt. The members of Unit R who had been taken under the general's wing for the moment had all been provided new clothes and equipment and were instructed to rest until given further instructions. Rae was antsy to begin searching for the lost members of his unit, but General Adira had instructed Rae that he was not to be dismissed until after the summit had concluded.

Why Adira was so keen on Rae attending the summit, he could not say. But he could not care less. What he cared about was finding Axel. So, as he stood on his balcony, Rae became determined to go and find the three.

Rae was about to spread his wings and take to the sky to search for his missing unit members when a knock on his door sounded. Not wanting to give away his intent to leave the skyreacher Unit R was currently stationed in, Rae folded his wings back against his back and hid them as he retreated into the room and answered the door. A major who served as Adira's righthand bowed his head upon Rae opening the door.

"General Adira wishes to speak with you. Follow me, please." After relaying the message, the major turned and began walking down the room-lined corridor.

Why does she need to speak with me? Did something happen? Rae released a short breath before reluctantly following the major to the lift. Rae and the colonel were silent as they boarded the lift and began ascending through the tall building. Rae stared straight on and began wondering why Adira had called for him. Hoping it was not for anything grave, Rae's eye twitched slightly as a quiet sound began to pulse in his mind.

Col...Colonel...

Rae's brows furrowed as he heard a staticky voice attempting to reach him. Kilo? Recognizing the voice, Rae closed his eyes and focused on the telepathic link with the lt. colonel. The more he focused on the guardian's voice, the clearer it became.

We have grouped with Unit K-4 of the EDF and are approximately fifteen minutes out from Daedoeshi. What is your location, Colonel?

The lift neared its stop as Rae engaged in silent conversation with Kilo. We are with General Adira in Daedoeshi. Find a place to lay low for now. Keep Axel with you. I shall contact you when it is safe to regroup.

Ae, Colonel.

With that, Rae quickly severed the telepathic link with Kilo and focused on the task at hand. Now that he knew Kilo, Castyr, and Axel were about to arrive in Daedoeshi safely, Rae could delay his search and investigate Adira's reasoning behind bringing him to the summit with her.

As the lift stopped at the top level of the skyreacher, the major brought Rae out of the glass tube where they entered into a luxurious restaurant with a 360-degree view of the city.

Adira was seated at a table beside a corner window with a fresh pot of tea brewing and two cups made of pearl. The major promptly left the restaurant upon delivering Rae to Adira, who motioned for the colonel to sit across from her. "Are you settling in nicely?" The general inquired as Rae took his seat.

"As best I can," Rae returned as he watched Adira pour the steaming tea into the two pearl cups. Adira slid one of the teacups toward Rae as she began, "I thought I would brief you on what has happened during the months you were training your unit in Nature's Preserve."